Output voltage at Nmos

Hi,

I am using Nmos IRFZ44N and STP36NF06L as a switch, opening and closing a c ircuit with 5 volts power suply, a 82R resistor and two Red Leds in paralle l. But, I can't undestand why when I use it physically, with gate connected to ground (i.e. OV in the gate) the voltage drops are:

-OV in the resistor (Obviously, no current driving)

-10mV at the LED

-3.6 V from drain to source (which is connected to ground)

Where are the other 1.4V???

Any point will be welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to
d12122749

circuit with 5 volts power suply, a 82R resistor and two Red Leds in parallel. But, I can't undestand why when I use it physically, with gate connected to ground (i.e. OV in the gate) the voltage drops are:

Your voltmeter draws a small amount of current, so in order to measure the drain voltage, the LED has to be forward biased a little. Try measuring from the positive supply downward instead.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Or to put it another way, the node where the source and LED cathode come together in floating when the FET is off, and will float wherever the voltmeter pulls it.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott