Load Dump/Transient Protection.

You kids! No historical background! We were already building silicon integrated circuits in commercial quantities.

...Jim Thompson

agreed, you want to OPEN the connection to the protected device when the input voltage is too high....

think series high voltage transistor with a control circuit that turns OFF the transistor when the input voltage gets too high..

You can make shunt protection work if your load is very low current, and you can put say a 100 Ohm resistor in series before the shunt protection.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

get a tougher regulator.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

no there's the current in the altenator's field coil, until that decays the altenator is still generating electricity. it won't take long (less than a second) but it's not instant.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

you don't need to absorb it, if your switching components are hardened enough they can block it.

it may also be possible to modify the altenator to reduce the field decay time.

--

Bye.
   Jasen