Transient Analysis

Hi,

From what I have understood of Transient Analysis, we would like to understand some properites of the circuit when it is switched on/off like:

  1. Will the circuit stabilise to its steady state. 2. How much time will the system take to achieve its steady state. 3. What kind or how much of currents/voltages do the components experience during the transient phase.

Besides these, I have seen some articles/posts where it seems like some other characteristics of the circuit can also be studied using transient analysis. In general, besides switch on/off behaviour, what else do we get from transient analysis?

Thanks, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar

I assume you're talking about SPICE. If so, then its transient analysis is the only way to investigate the nonlinear dynamical behavior of the system. Since _everything_ is nonlinear, it's a good check to make sure that things are happening as you expect.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

ow

we

You can learn a lot about a circuit from a step response, i.e. slew, stability, etc. Generally you want to do a large step and a small step since the large step slewing can mask some problems that show up in the small step.

Bandgaps are interesting in transient. One place where I worked, there was a part where coupling from the DC/DC would work it's way into the bandgap in a manner where the bandgap voltage got pumped up. This happened in real life and spice, well, once spice was run with the bandgap circuit rather than just a voltage source. ;-)

Reply to
miso

Transient analysis is large signal analysis. AC analysis is small signal only. You have to bias the network at the "operating point".

Reply to
krw

Can you believe that, "dynamical" is actually a legitimate word ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

Why? Would the antonym be "statical"?

Reply to
krw

[snip]

It just didn't seem to "flow" smoothly... I would prefer "nonlinear dynamic behavior" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

"Somebody had to build the ceiling...
           before Michelangelo could go to work."
                                                 - John Ratzenberger

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Somebody_had_to_build_the_ceiling.pdf

Another word for the pompous asses. ;-)

Reply to
krw

dynamical, statical, yet more bastardisation of the language imo. Now that so many people only understand text speak, I guess we'll see more of this making up words to suit the occasion.

In that context, dynamical could be replaced with plain old dynamic with no loss of meaning or grammar.

Still, English is a dynamic and living language...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

Except that "dynamical" is in the dictionary.

Which is why the "why?" above.

Too dynamical, sometimes.

Reply to
krw

That's a leftist argument, sort of like the Constitution is a "living" document.

And I did say...

"Can you believe that, "dynamical" is actually a legitimate word ?:-)" ^^^^^^^^^^

Part of the problem in our "Wiki way of life", is that everything is made up as you go along.

Some legal scholars are saying, today, that Obama's hate crimes law, passed yesterday, can be used to limit freedom of speech.

Given the Obama bent toward totalitarianism, I'm afraid it's likely :-( ...Jim Thompson

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty.
 When the People fear the Government, that is Tyranny."
         - attributed to Thomas Jefferson by his contemporaries

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to
restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and
interests."      - Patrick Henry

analysis

sure

^^^^^^^^^^

Sure, that's why I answered as I did.

Except that a dictionary is supposed to show (or be) some sort of consensus about the language.

Surprised? Isn't that the whole purpose? There is still something left of the First Ammendment, but not much apparently.

No surprise here. He's doing exactly what he campaigned on. Why is anyone surprised?

Reply to
krw

time

how

some

transient

we

analysis=20

=20

sure=20

No, i can't. It came about by failure to teach limited English PhD candidates (and some post-doc researchers) to learn the few exceptions to the "Add 'ly' to get the adverb" rule back in the 1960s and 1970s. It got legitimized even though it is wrong.

Reply to
JosephKK