What's the purpose of Input transient protection?

What is the purpose of having Input transient protection? That is, what is is and what is it good for?

Also, what is the purpose of havinig Input reversal protection?

Thanks.

Reply to
Raban

It's a circuit that protects another circuit from damaging input transients. A fuse is an exmaple. It's good for protecting your circuit and possibly even livestock from damage.

Same answer but in the negative direction.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

Passing QA tests. Also, in real life, protecting against often-rare events.

Passing QA tests. Also, in real life, protecting against endemic idiocy.

Oddly enough, you'll frequently find the answers to your homework questions in your textbook. Try opening it - you won't be disappointed.

Reply to
larwe

I wish there could be an input protection of a newsgroup from idiots and their stupid questions...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

1) To protect the inputs from transients. 2) To protect the inputs from reversals.
Reply to
Hershel

(Snicker...)

-- Mark Moulding

Reply to
Mark Moulding

The world is full of transient suppression devices and they are becoming endangered, global warming is predicted to increase the risk to transients.

They need all the protection they can get.

Reversed inputs become outputs and a system failure is the likely result.

Reply to
nospam

VV is PLONKED here for lack of anything other than vituperation.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

The only stupid questions are questions never asked. How on earth did you learn everything you know now? Did you experience some Magic Enlightment or have you incidentally asked questions too....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

And there was I thinking it was to protect transients and reversals from inputs. I learn something new every day!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

I've learned you just can't be careful enough with wild inputs.

They will attack civilized society, spreading moral decay and wrenching havoc on everything we find good.

We must protect ourselves in every way possible.

-Hershel

Reply to
Hershel

Books work for me. I also paid attention in class (of course, we were studying vacuum tubes at the time). I tried Magic Enlightment a few times, but it didn't work well, and was illegal.

-Hershel

Reply to
Hershel

My boss warned me about how dangerous wild ideas can be, but now it appears that more general inputs can be too.

I thought that was marketing input...

Spears, javelins, bayonets and tridents - any spike protection you can lay your hands on!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Dickerson

"I am the chief researcher from Matumba-Madumba Great Academy of the Rocket Sciences. We are building the Electronic Brain which thinks faster then light. This project will solve all of the problems of the mankind; however I have a little difficulty understanding of how does the 7400 work and why 2 + 2 = 4. I have some books, but those books are very bad: there is only text there, and almost no pictures. Please do my homework, it is very urgent"

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Oh, your greatness, please forgive me for not being interested in the opinion of your majesty...

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

You think the subject of transient protection is as simple as 2 + 2? Maybe you have already got a few of those Electronic Brains stashed away at your office?? ;-)

For mere mortals wanting to know about transient protection, I would recommend EMC for product designers by Tim Williams - that's a book that I have and it's pretty reasonable - *lots* of information in there about transient protection.

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Taylor

Not to mention transients which are basically gypsies and vagabonds.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It depends. However only the studiots can be so clueless not to know at all what is it about.

Sure. If anybody needs a prostetic head, we can make one :-)

From my young years, I can remember the book "The protection of computers". It covered everything from the power outage to the EMI countermeasures. The most interesting chapter was about the protection against the burglars; it contained the data of how much time is required by a trained person to break through the different obstacles, using or not using power tools.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I must assume you never came near to any kind of military service, or this would have utterly failed to be worthy of notice. Of course any and all things that get pushed up far enough in the hierarchy to end up as input to a General are, by definition, dangerous!

You were thinking of marketing _output_ there, of course. ;->

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker