little pcb-mount CTs

.

They are if you insist on buying ready-wound units off the shelf.

Get yourself a coil-winding machine - they aren't expensive - and a stock o f coil-formers and ferrite cores (gapped and ungapped) and wind a few proto types.

There will be a local coil winder who can make production batches of 100 pa rts or so reasonably quickly and reasonably cheaply.

They won't be as quick or as cheap as somebody geared up to make 10,000 par t batches, but wound components don't seem to show dramatic economies of sc ale.

Printed windings are sort of nice, but you have to cut holes in the laminat e to allow the core halves to mate around the windings.

From a design point of view, inductors are more of a pain than resistors an d capacitors - there's more going on, and stray capacitance in an inductor always seems to be orders of magnitude worse than stray inductance in a cap acitor - but there are also more variables to adjust.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Mon, 4 May 2015 19:05:17 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sloman Gave us:

Nice cut and paste job, obvious idiot.

You are the 1/f noise in the group. As evidenced by your inane incapacity to trim quoted material, or your retarded line lengths.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Wrong. If you want to claim that it is a cut and paste job, you need to identify the source from which I cut and pasted it. Turnitin is the software for the job, but it's unlikely to be any more accessible to you than it is to me.

I will confess to having said something similar in the past, but probably not similar enough for Turnitin to identify me as a self-plagiarist.

In consideration of your restriction to antiquated news-readers that don't automatically suppress quoted material or match the displayed line length to the window size you are using, I'm posting this with Thunderbird via eternal September - it's the least I can do for the intellectually handicapped.

--

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tue, 05 May 2015 15:21:12 +1000, Bill Sloman Gave us:

..nononononononononononononononononononononono^^^^^^^ ..nononononononononononononononononononon as an

There, Bill.. IFYPFY

go look that acronym up, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Since you couldn't manage to find it, the usual expansion is "I fixed your post for you". Like most of your preferred improvements - like forcing everybody else to use the same really antique news reader that you like - your idea of an "improvement" is idiosyncratic and unlikely to be widely endorsed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tue, 05 May 2015 22:34:46 +1000, Bill Sloman Gave us:

Again, you are as full of shit as anyone claiming to be intelligent can possibly get.

As George Carlin would say... Blow it out your ass, f*****ad.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't claim to be intelligent. It's not a trait that's worth claiming for yourself. Intelligent people can usually recognise intelligence in other people - if it's there. Fools have rely on what other people say.

Obviously not someone with an extensive vocabulary. You could try for a slightly more up-market role-model, if you had the wit to carry it off.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thing is, ISDN has never really caught on in the US and I believe it's on its last leg. I wouldn't want to use ISDN products in new designs. DSL, yes.

Another item that could work well is the current sense inside GFCI receptacles. That's a rock-bottom priced scenario and due to code requirements they won't go away as long as wel live. Since these are also needed on aricraft, companies such as Rockwell make GFCI breakers also for 400Hz.

I like them. The project I am working on today would be impossible to do without. It gets to be really interesting when working with tapped inductors in a resonant configuration.

Maybe I am biased because I grew up in the world of RF where almost nothing ever works without inductors.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Tue, 05 May 2015 10:13:52 -0700, Joerg Gave us:

As a consumer access method perhaps, but ALL switches are 100% ISDN (for YEARS, literally).

Otherwise ALL DSL would not even function. Much less high end dial-up modems.

Cop a clue, child.

DOH!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Who said that a DSL transformer is suitable here?

56 out of 71 are non-stock:

Duh :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They are indispensable, but hard to spec and buy. There are very few standard transformer footprints or specs, and it's hard to find things in stock. Some of the "dual inductors", which are really 1:1 transformers, are multi-sourced and usually stocked.

Standard 1603-1206 inductors are easy to get. But a lot of cool RF inductors are sole-source.

We use tons of Talema 1:1:2:2 ISDN transformers... about 14K so far,

3K in stock. In dc/dc converters, mostly, or as pulse transformers, occasionally signal transformers. I did a coolish 120 VDC supply with one recently, to power a photodiode.

Delivery is slow, from India, but no supply issues so far. I know that I can get custom-built equivalents, if I ever need to.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

21% in stock? That's fabulous for Digikey.

Their motto used to be "We STOCK what we list".

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I found these guys to be very customer-oriented:

Giving back and thinking worldwide for that is what I like most:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On the current sense transformers they got about 40% stocked and 80% for gate drive transformers. That sounds more normal for them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They stock 0% of the Talema parts listed. Somebody is unhappy with somebody!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We donate about $40K a year. One of my charities is The Fistula Foundation, which repairs broken ladies. I'm approaching 100 repairs now.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is one of the great charities. If no one else has said it, "thanks John".

Reply to
David Eather

Wasn't it originally a Swedish company? I always liked their toroids.

Maybe the Vikings did too many raids and made it to Thief River Falls :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, fully agree. I'd put that on your web site. Not as boasting but to entice others to give back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I don't get why you are focusing on the glass being.... uh, more than half empty when you have.... uh, (counts on fingers) 15 that are not non-stock. Isn't that enough to choose from?

--

Rick
Reply to