What does mV/V-mA mean?

Hello,

I'm looking at a current sensor datasheet, it says

Sensitivity up to 2mV/mA (on the front page/Key Features)

and

sensitivity is typ. 0.08mV/V-mA @ 5V Supply (In the operating specifications)

What does this mean?

My guess:

I have the part and did some measurements

with a 5V supply

I put 4mA through it and got 6.6mV out I put 5mA through it and got 6.9mV out

so... (6.9mV-6.6mV)/(5mA-4mA) = 0.3mV/1mA = 0.3V/A ?

if I took the 0.08mV/V-mA number and multipy by the supply voltage I get

0.08mV/V-mA * 5V = 0.4mV/V-mA? which is close to 0.3mV/V-mA

Here's the datasheet:

I think I've screwed this up, can anyone help explain this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Fibo

Den mandag den 4. maj 2015 kl. 20.20.13 UTC+2 skrev Fibo:

I'm guessing, millivolt output per volt supply per milliamp current

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yep. If you look at the schematic the bridge is powered by the rail, not off some internal reference, thus is sensitive to power supply. ...Jim Thompson

ahhh.... mV/V-mA = mV/V/mA..... doh! Thanks!

Reply to
Fibo

One one thousandth the figure for mV/V-A

Volt Amps.

Volt Milli-amps. It simply allows the resultant figure to appear more intuitive.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 4 May 2015 12:55:33 -0700 (PDT), Fibo Gave us:

NOT per.

TIMES.

VA is Volts TIMES Amps.

V-mA is Volts TIMES milliamps.

The figure is a metered output figure described as mV of graph or bar movement per *given figure*. It is way to make the output more readable and pertinent to the values being read.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 04 May 2015 15:33:47 -0500, Tim Wescott Gave us:

Thank you for articulating it well. I was stumbling.... I think.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Fibo is correct. But either way is correct.

Reply to
John S