Linear Motor Design

500N.

Your first stop might be

which is pretty comprehensive on stepper motors in general. One of his links is to a linear stepper manufacturer

My reference is Takashi Kenjo's "stepping motors and their microsprocessor controls" ISBN 0-19=859326-0 from 1984 which includes examples in your range of interest. Most of them seem to be Sawyer motors.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Are there any good texts or online refernces to designing linear motors and their drive circuitry? Mainly up to strokes of around 30cm and thrust up to 500N.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

That's not right- he needs to boot the whole 10kV supply...

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

has

Just use a great big huge voice coil, with some kind of positional feedback.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Dirk Bruere at Neopax" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

and

to 500N.

Not a cookbook to design one yourself, but a nice overview of various linear motors:

Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I will not have to get involved with the mechanical design of such a motor, but am likely to have to design the control and drive circuitry.

We need to lift some 50kg repetitively through 30cm millions of times, so it has to be a LM just from a reliability POV.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

"Frank Bemelman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:43bfcb39$0$4055$ snipped-for-privacy@dreader24.news.xs4all.nl...

Is it possible for the stator to use only non magnetized metal, like slotted aluminium, copper or steel in some shape. I think about farady's motor, but that needs a bearing which would have to be replaced for a linear motor by an inducted magnet.

--
Manfred Winterhoff, reply-to invalid, use mawin at gmx dot net
Reply to

has

Er... That's a linear motor!

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

has

But a very inefficient one, usually incapable of sustaining the weight of its moving part.

Properly designed linear synchronous motors offer up to 30G acceleration - roughly two orders of magnitude better onver any sort of useful throw.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to