Light pulse and photodiode

Typical 6-stage PMTs have gain approaching 10^6, 11-stage tubes exceed 10^7. Yes, if you can stand the noise, the PD is better. Our big problem is removing the heat from the dynode voltage dividers in a vacuum chamber, when you have dozens of PMTs packed in one chamber.

But, to give you an idea of the gains, we use feedback resistors of

100 Meg to 4 G Ohm, and feedback capacitors of around 1 pF effective (0.5 pF component and 0.5 pF of board capacitance) in the charge-integrating preamp. That is for the scintillator-PD setup, a larger cap value and smaller gain are used with the direct detection scheme.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

PMTs are far better than any photodiode for very faint signals--like six orders of magnitude better, on an area basis.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nope, not even close! You will definitely need true heroics to measure less than 10,000 electrons. The more compressed in time they come, the better they stand out from the noise. So, direct detection of charged particles has a tail time constant of about one us, typically. A fast scintillator like BGO compresses that, but the PD may stretch it out some. And, NaI is really slow, with a tail out to 5-10 us.

Our CMOS preamp has a noise floor of about 3000 electrons, and believe me, it is heroic to get there with CMOS. Not sure what the noise floor of our JFET amp was, but it was probably getting closer to that 1000 electrons on a good day. But, of course, that was with 1 cm square PD's, the smaller, lower capacitance you can get the better. And, of course, making the detector smaller reduces the probability of capturing a particle. There is NO free lunch!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

YUP, that indeed is the rub. If you can arrange the optics to funnel all the light into a small photodiode, then it helps everything immensely. If you are forced for optical reasons to use a 1 cm square diode, for example, then everything gets far more difficult.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ns.

rts

No I meant 10,000 photons... sorry.

=A0Much better to use an ultra-quiet

Sure, thanks. I've been doing all this noise stuff lately. If my analysis is at all valid then you want as much bandwidth as possible and as big an R as you can afford.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Cool, Any good papers?

Here's something for 1969,

(But I couldn't get access.)

I certainly want to count individual events... I really would like to do two detectors and a correlation thing. Do you do that? Or how about this? A hunk of scintallator with six parabolic light pipes radiating along the Cartesian axes, focusing the light onto six photodiodes. I could collect almost all the photons and do a six way correlation. (This is mostly a 'light' pipe dream.)

x>

Sounds fun!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ing

That makes sense, you want the C as low as possible and then R as big as possible, except if it limits the time response.

I was looking at some paper that could see the muon background. That would be cool.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

at

Do you ever do any conical light pipes? We use to do that in the FIR.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ion

Oh, Well I'm probably not going to be able to really do this... unless I do it on my own time. But 3000 seems not too bad. I can do some simple tests with an LED.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Google put my message into a separate message.

What I wanted to say was: How about using several photodiodes, with each their own amplifier.

And then summing the amplified signal when it is larger and not so critical.

By the way, what are good components for this, photodiodes and op amps, PMTs are too hard to use for me

Reply to
LM

any

or

he

Yeah a few PD's and then not only sum them, but also have a seperate threshold for each circuit. Then only 'detect' something when all the circuits fire... that's the 'correlation thing'. You'd be able to set the threshold closer to the noise level.

PMT's are actually easier, circuit-wise. But they have lots of other issues.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

r any

i or

.

=A0The

ut

.

What is the

sunnuntai, 22. huhtikuuta 2012 18.12.58 UTC+3 George Herold kirjoitti:

r any

i or

.

=A0The

ut

.

I have no idea what do those crystals which emit light look like. But I wou= ld think light is emitted in every direction and is easier to collect with = several detectors than with one.

Reply to
LM

or any

pi or

ht.

of

ll

=A0The

out

al

ll

on

ns.

Ahh no idea, but when I post from home on google groups, sometimes weird things happen.

But on an early post from you it said, "On 19 huhti, 19:20, George Herold wrote:"

Did you add that? or google?

or any

pi or

ht.

of

ll

=A0The

out

al

ll

on

ns.

ould think light is emitted in every direction and is easier to collect wit= h several detectors than with one.

Yeah, I think that may be why they wrap white teflon tape around the x- tals. But Jon Elson knows much more than I. I wonder if some metal mirror type coating would be better.

George H.

George Herold

Some of these have been partly conical, or at least tapered. Often we have to adapt from a weird-shaped scintillator that pack together to form angled rings to the square PDs. So, the light guides end up with a bunch of facets. Our shop has gotten good at making some really complicated shapes.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There are plenty of papers, my boss is D. G. Sarantities, we have published a number of papers in Nuclear Instrumentation and Methods on some of these devices. There was the "Micro Ball" and the "Dwarf Ball".

Not generally. We are detecting multiple particles that shoot out of a nuclear reaction. Their time coincidence is pretty good at assuring this is a real signal.

Unless you want to detect cosmic rays, how do the particles reach the scintillator, except by passing THROUGH the photodiodes?

Until you have a $40K MOSIS run and the chips have some kind of design defect that we have to engineer our way around as best we can.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They look like chunks of glass, if they are well-made. All those detectors are competing for the same limited number of photons. So, it may be better to reflect all the light to one photodiode. We have found white, non-specular stuff like white paint or white Teflon plumbing tape works best at getting a reproducible number of the photons to the photodiode. Mirror-like reflectors tend to make the system sensitive to where the particle hits, so you detect a different signal amplitude depending on location, while the tape or paint just bounces them around and a pretty constant proportion of photons are detected.

Hey, I'm just revealing all our trade secrets!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson