How to measure Pulse Current?

Is there any suggestion how to measure Pulse current up to 10KA and pulse wide below 10mA?

Reply to
GSiu

"GSiu" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

below 10ma,a clip-on P6021,P6022(AC)current probe,or a TM500/AM503/A6302 system,DC-50 Mhz BW. The AM503/A6303 probe measures high currents (IIRC,up to 100's of A),but not 10,000A.

you may need some sort of current transformer for those really high currents.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

*All* of those probes are current transformers... At 10,000 amps one would have a problem in preventing saturation; the secondary winding resistance probably cause enough IR drop that the current would be low enough so that the current (amps) times turns (= ampere-turns) would reflect back to the primary (of one turn) so that the net core flux would be excessive. Now, it might be done with a *large* core and (relatively) large diameter wire (to reduce that IR drop)... So, start with a turns ratio of (say) 10,000 to 1, meaning the secondary has 10,000 turns. For insignificant IR drop, the secondary should be no smaller than #20. From that, figure out the cross-sectional area taken for 10,000 wires, thenmathematically "spread" it out over a torus (if that is the shape of the core) or rectangle (if "C" or "E" type core). That should give you a rough idea as to the minimum core size (will need to be larger due to insulation, etc).
Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:4r3sg.2197$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The AM503 probes are Hall-effect devices -with- a current transformer for hi-freq response. And they still are PROBES(based on transformers,yes.) ,not a stand-alone transformer.

They also can be slipped over a conductor and not have to be hard-wired into the circuit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

CT.. Current Transformer. you simply pass the load through it., the terminals give you a ratio.. something like a 500:1 comes to mind. also there is the concern of the pulse width time your looking for ? also you have Tranducers that can convert to 4..20, voltage or digitial output etc..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

I believe this is the first time that "stand-alone" was mentioned...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Rogowski coil?

Reply to
John McMillan

Wow! Used Google to find out what that was, and the first hit, the PDF is very illuminating and useful.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had a summer job at Culham lab years back and we used to make these things out of stripped Hackethal delay cable. I don't suppose you can still get Hackethal or anything like it. Last year I built myself a tiny Rogowski coil by soldering eight surface mount inductors into an octagon. It worked too!

Reply to
John McMillan