LCD screen -- water spots

Restored a TV that had set outside and it must have received some rainwater
 or snow.

I googled the image of what the damage looks like and it's like "clouds" th
at are here and there in the display background. Ran into some info that sa
id to put a small heater in front of the bad areas (within reason obviously
) and that will help. Lo and behold after a few days it did clear up some o
f the areas I've directed the heat toward, but some others are VERY stubbor
n.

Has anyone encountered this problem? If I just keep the TV in a dry environ
ment will these spots eventually go away? Or do you think that unless they
go away soon, that the damage may be permanent?

I don't know enough about the "sandwich" that is an LCD screen -- maybe som
eone does. Also, disassembling the display looks like something I don't wan
t to do or may be impossible from the looks of it. Thanks.

Re: LCD screen -- water spots
On a sunny day (Mon, 20 Jan 2014 06:36:14 -0800 (PST)) it happened mkr5000

I once had a LCd monitor to Samsung for repair,
when it came back it had a black spot on thw screen.
Closer look revealed it was a very small insect,
not on the outside, but behind the glass.
Tapping the galss did not help... it looked glued to the screen.
Just the size of a pixel or 2, after some weeks it disappeared,
probably fell of, or ended its summer sleep....

Probably does not help you,
but I would take the thing apart ot see if it is on the backlight
or on the LCD itself.
Nothing to lose....

Re: LCD screen -- water spots

Hard to say without seeing it first hand. If it is water then it will
move around whereas if it is a salt residue from dirty water having
entered the display then it will sit there until cleaned off.

Putting it inside a largish airtight tin or fish tank with some rice as
dessicant might help remove any traces of water trapped in between the
thin films. Problem is that unless you have somewhere else for the water
to go you will end up chasing it around with heat. You could just wait
and see if it recovers when kept in a warm dry office environment.

Martin Brown

Re: LCD screen -- water spots
I read about that rice trick -- actually I moved the heater (set on low, ab
out 8" from screen) to another area and I've removed about 70% of the damag
e so far.

I learned this --
direct the heater to the edges of the "cloud" and work your way in, rather
than pointing it in the middle.

Believe it or not, I think the heat is going to do the trick.

ater or snow.
" that are here and there in the display background. Ran into some info tha
t said to put a small heater in front of the bad areas (within reason obvio
usly) and that will help. Lo and behold after a few days it did clear up so
me of the areas I've directed the heat toward, but some others are VERY stu
bborn.
ironment will these spots eventually go away? Or do you think that unless t
hey go away soon, that the damage may be permanent?
 someone does. Also, disassembling the display looks like something I don't
 want to do or may be impossible from the looks of it. Thanks.

Re: LCD screen -- water spots

Do you have access to a sufficiently large vacuum chamber to hold the
TV?

Failing that, maybe buy a box of dessicant from your friendly
neighborhood craft store and stick it in a closed garbage bag in a
warm space for a week or two.

Re: LCD screen -- water spots
That's a GREAT idea.

I think you can get those silica packs online.

So far the heat is doing pretty nicely but I bet that would do it.

ter or snow.
 that are here and there in the display background. Ran into some info that
 said to put a small heater in front of the bad areas (within reason obviou
sly) and that will help. Lo and behold after a few days it did clear up som
e of the areas I've directed the heat toward, but some others are VERY stub
born.
ronment will these spots eventually go away? Or do you think that unless th
ey go away soon, that the damage may be permanent?
someone does. Also, disassembling the display looks like something I don't
want to do or may be impossible from the looks of it. Thanks.

Re: LCD screen -- water spots
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:41:53 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Rice is supposed to be a good substitute for removing moisture.

Cheers

Re: LCD screen -- water spots
On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:13:09 -0500, the renowned Martin Riddle

Basmati might be good because the guy who will eventually fix your
electronics would like it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany