large (~9mm square) bare photo diode vendors.

When we first bought these (from advanced photonics) they were less than $10.

Now they are Luna optoelectronics... price continues to rise. It's hard to know when you should start looking for a new vendor.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe 2N3055 without the can? ;-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

I did a starch on Ebay and found a vendor selling photonics diodes for $20. Did not check how many he had and what the price was for quantity.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

solar cell?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Group response. Thanks all... Piotr, Dan and John. This is in an existing product, where we need about the above size and also no room in the perpendicular direction, so just a bare piece of silicon. Ebay is not really an option as we want to buy more in the future.... I'll go searching other places...

OT.. this from the Luna-opto website.

"Luna merged with Advanced Photonix, Inc. On May 8, 2015 the merger between Luna and Advanced Photonix, Inc. was completed. Joining forces, the combined company has a strengthened position in optical technology and looks to leverage both companies' capabilities to grow shareholder value."

Which sounds like prices are going up across the board. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 2:19:08 PM UTC-5, George Herold wrote: Ebay is not really an option as we want to buy more in the future....

Ebay is not a good long term solution, but you might check to see if you can get enough to get by while looking for a long term solution.

You might also look at " AliExpress.com " and see if you can find a photodiode that will work. Then see if it is available from multiple vendors. If it is available from multiple vendors , then it is probably currently being produced. And you can probably find the manufacturer.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Grin, It's only a small buy, 25 units... >$1k, Not worth my time, and yet long term they are toast. (I'm doing some ordering due to sickness...)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We have been using these guys:

Most of their parts are in TO metal cans rather than the wire-ended style you linked to. Their nearest equivalent standard part is the ODD-15W, 15 mm^2 for $13.98

If this isn't quite what you need, ODC are very flexible in making customised version of their parts (price then goes up obviously). We have been using them for nearly 10 years with no problems.

No connection with ODC, just a satisfied customer. HTH

Reply to
RBlack

I am not a photonics guy but have used small numbers of BPW21 and BPW34 but they are 7 or 7.5mmsq so a bit smaller than your target 9mmsq.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I think George wants 9x9 mm = 81 sq mm. A BPW34 is 2.3x2.3 mm = 7 sq mm.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ahh, Oops! Thanks Phil.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

In message , George Herold writes

Hamamatsu do a 10mm x10mm

BR/index.html

I've no idea of price. There may also be Chinese sources

Silicon should be cheap. It's the most common element on the planet.

I ate slept and breathed photodiodes of various sorts for over 40 years

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

Given the size of some of those, I'm amazed you don't have silicosis. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Hi Brian, Well it's a bit too late... I already placed the order.

But you inspired me to look a little more... OSI is where we get most of our PD's now and I should have looked there first.

The 10x10mm one is $12.50 for onesies. And looks like it will fit. (next time.)

Cool. Did you ever do any APD's. (Single photon/ geiger mode?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

If so, how did you cool them?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

A TEC (or stack.) is standard. I wonder if it makes any difference to keep cooling them... 77K say.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I was hoping there might have been something less power hungry. In the late 70s I was looking at a photon-counting OTDR, but it needed to be portable and battery powered.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Interesting experiment. Bipolar Si transistors generally stop working somewhere below 100K. Si JFETs and MOSFETs get better. PN diodes are used at very low temps as thermometers but I've heard that there's some special doping involved.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Most of my work was laser receivers. I've worked with OSI for custom devices used in trackers. Also Centronic in the UK.

I started out with RCA's silicon APDs in the 70's. I've done a lot of designs with InGAs APDs.and I did a little bit of work on photon counting 3d Lidar in 2011.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to

Peltier. Even the linear mode ones needed cooling, because of the equipment temperature ranges.

Brian

--
Brian Howie
Reply to