New $100 Notes - Electronic Securty Features

Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or RFID tag.

Does anyone have further info on this?

Martin King

Reply to
mking

hamilton

Thanks heaps. But I wouldn't have asked here if I had found anything with Google.

Some informal sources say the note contains passively activated circuitry.

Martin King

Reply to
mking

If the gov'mt won't say what the "special" features, why would you believe what you read on the internet?

I do know that if you microwave a bill with a strip in it, it will catch fire or at least get very hot. ( tried it, it did catch fire)

With that in mind, is there a frequency that can be used to detect the value of those bills ?

I doubt it.

Reply to
hamilton

Have you, personally, tried?

Reply to
John S

Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, regardless of when it was issued."? Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >> RFI D tag. >> >> Does anyone have further info on this? >> >> Martin King >> >

> Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, regardless of when it was iss ued."? Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...

Interesting you should bring that up. there ae several issues with that. fo r example if you have an old one dollar silver certificate, by law that mea ns they should give you silver for it. but how much ?

Also, I had a twenty from the 1950s recently and once I found it was only w orth twenty bucks and maybe a penny, I spent it. THAY WOULDN'T TAKE IT. It failed the test pen.

I didn't feel like pushing the issue so I just traded twenties with a buddy and got my beer. However I read something a while back about this not taki ng good money. There is/was a little known law that if legal tender is refu sed, the vendor must simply give the merchandise to the buyer for free. I h aven't been able to find the specifics but it involves a strange case at a gas station.

Of course you know it is damn hard to unpump gas. The station had a policy that they didn't take bills over $20 at night and all the guy had was fifti es and up, but not enough on smaller demoninations to paty for the already pumped gasoline.

The cops were called and then the sherriff, and the guy did not get arreste d, and everyone was surprised that they had to just give him the gas. He ma y have signed a promissory note or something to send them a check later or whatever, but the fact is they could not take the gas back and theyu couyld not arrest him.

This may be an urban legend, but sometimes these things have basis' in fact . It probably actually happened but that is not testament to the law becaus e cops do make mistakes. In fact nowadays they even lie.

I almost decided to run a scam based on that "law", I am not sure it is rea l. A buddy of mone was about to buy a shirtload of band equipment, digital recorder, bunch of mikes and a couplr of mixers and we were going to set up a little band. The store has this policy that results in you not getting p roper warranty coverage if you do not give a phone number. I was looking fo r a way to use this "law" if it exuisats to prove legal discrtimnination, a nd offering cah money and being refused the same deal as someone who was wi lling to give out their phone number..... get the logic ? It never happened , and this is Ohio. See, the law in Ohio is just random letters andf they p ick and choose at will, and brother have they got alot of will. The Constit ution ? You can get thrown in ail here for just mentioning the Constitution , I shit you not.

Anyway, thank you for attending my Saturday morning rant. The collection bo x is near the door, be generous as the price of beer is always rising.

Reply to
jurb6006

It is *still* legal tender. I will gladly replace it with a brand new bill, if you wish.

1$ worth, but no longer.

From the treasury FAQ.

Q: "I have some old silver certificates. How can I trade them in for silver dollars?

A" On March 25, 1964, C. Douglas Dillon, the 57th Secretary of the Treasury announced that silver certificates would no longer be redeemable in silver dollars. This decision was pursuant to the Act of June 4, 1963 (31 U.S.C. 405a-1). The Act allowed the exchange of silver certificates for silver bullion until June 24,1968. This was the deadline set by the Congress. Since that date, there has been no obligation to issue silver in any form in exchange for these certificates. You may be interested to know that the Congress took this action because there were approximately three million silver dollars remaining in the Treasury Department's vaults. These coins had high numismatic values, and there was no way to make an equitable distribution of them among the many people holding silver certificates.

Silver certificates are still legal tender and do still circulate at their face value. Depending upon the age and condition of the certificates, however, they may have a numismatic value to collectors and dealers.

Even the old bills should pass the ink test. That's a paper issue, which hasn't changed. It may have been counterfeit.

Uh, oh! Dealing in counterfeit money!

Someone allows you to pump before you pay? How quaint. ;-)

Nowadays?

There is no such law. Never has been.

Reply to
krw

I get stuck on that "In God We Trust" nonsense. Once you see that, the show is over.

Reply to
miso

snip

ties

that is the norm here, a few stations in remote places may make you pay before you pump at night, but most don't

and at ~9$/gallon it is not because it is cheap

as.

ter

should have arrested him for wasting the polices time, shouldn't need a she riff to use common sense; take the guys money or tell him to come back and pay later

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Where is "here"? I haven't seen this in the US for close to a decade

- pretty much since they all went online. Credit/debit is the norm.

Oh, here US. Blame your government for the $9/gal gas. At least half of that is taxes.

+1
Reply to
krw

Great! Send me all that "In God We Trust" stuff of yours. I'll make sure it doesn't offend your delicate lefty loser ego.

Reply to
krw

"In God we trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E pluribus unum, adopted when the Great Seal of the United States was created and adopted in 1782.[1][2]

"In God we trust" first appeared on U.S. coins in 1864[3] and has appeared on paper currency since 1957.[4] Some secularists object to its use.[5]

[1][2][3][4][5]

E pluribus unum (/?i? ?pl??r?b?s ?u?n?m/; Latin: [?e? ?plu?r?b?s ?u?n??])?Latin for "Out of many, one"[6] (alternatively translated as "One out of many" or "One from many")?is a phrase on the Seal of the United States, along with Annuit

[6] America was originally likened to a bouquet of different flowers, where unity and individuality coexisted ? not a "melting pot" that blended everyone together.

So in 1957 the RR decided that "many" was too many, so they had to limit who the real Americans were, right ?

Reply to
hamilton

Your lefty loser point is?

Your lefty loser point is? No, that's right, you're too damned stupid to have a point. Idiot!

Reply to
krw

So, you don't know.

Reply to
hamilton

I know you're an idiot who can't think. ...another Slowman.

Reply to
krw

Too embarrassed to show your lack of knowledge.

Reply to
hamilton

I can tell you're too embarrassed by my knowledge. So is Slowman. You to must be twins.

Reply to
krw

Again, change the subject instead of answering the question.

Are you a Christian Asshole ?

Reply to
hamilton

Illiterate, as all lefties. Another Slowman clone.

No, but certainly you _are_ an asshole. Your statement proves that you are, in fact, an SP asshole (but that's redundant).

Reply to
krw