Lapel microphone question

I had a so-so voice when I joined the choir (low expectations). My wife sings Soprano and I sang melody line a third or a fifth lower (generally). At one point I met some of the Westchester Chordsmen and was invited to try out. To my amazement, I passed the audition and they put me in as a bass. About the same time, church choir took a summer break. Two months of Chordsmen rehearsals, we started church choir rehearsals again. Choir director has us do the first song and after five bars, stops everything, looks at me and asks 'just **WHAT** have YOU been doing over the summer?'. I was a bit embarrassed, but then realized learning a bit of good technique makes all the difference. I still struggle reading sheet music but can 'woodshed' out some decent harmonies. Not sure that the Nuns always like it but I often try to finish a song in barbershop style on a seventh chord.

Wife and I are Associate members of "Sisters of Divine Compassion", an order of Nuns. I'm one of four men in the association. My wife thinks it hysterical that I've been in more of the convent 'private spaces' than she has. The good sisters ask me to help with A/V setups and computers... Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

I used to work for a company which sold audio gear to Churches. I recall Sennheiser was always the first choice for wireless clip-on mics. Shure was second if money was an issue. I really have no idea what kind of mic was used. My instinct says it shouldn't be to omni-directional because you may get feedback problems but that depends on the acoustics of the building and the position of the speakers.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Should be OK

Reply to
David Eather

It picks up the sound that travels through the bones in your head (that may not be elegantly said but it is true as far as how in ear microphones work.

Reply to
David Eather

Repeater?

Reply to
krw

Ah, more like a Baptist church finish then :-)

When I do another biz trip deep into the South over a weekend I want to attend a real Baptist church on Sunday. One where the rafters shake when they sing.

Once I stayed at a convent in Berlin, Germany, while working with a laser group. My wife's late aunt put a word in for me, that despite me being a Lutheran I am ok, so they gave me the room. Later I turned in my expense report. "WHAT? ... Did you sleep on a park bench or something? Hotels cost a fortune there."

The room contained a bed, a chair, a small study table, a lamp and a bible. No TV, no phone. It was really all I needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for all the hints, guys. We ordered an omni-directional Sennheiser ME2. The folks at Sweetwater said that most of the churches order omni. Best of all, they found an old order from us where we replaced the Shure mike and it was omni, so I know it'll work.

--
Thanks again, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, in every third pew :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

What? No WiFi ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

No, to a higher power radio, then to the PA system. The idea is to use the mechanics of the BT earpiece.

Reply to
krw

Come on down! There's one on every corner and a Methodist church in the middle of each block, here. ;-)

No mini bar, either, I suppose. ;-)

Reply to
krw

That'll open a can of worms. The pastor moves around a lot. And when there is a service where the cross is brought in he'll walk from the narthex (church entry area) all the way down the aisle to the altar. Bluetooth would fall apart miserably. In RF stage equipment there is nothing that can top range, except more range :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

We use "professional broadcast" headsets connected to a radio worn on one's belt. I've been thinking about putting a BT link in the belt unit and ditching the clunky headset and cord.

Reply to
krw

Who knows. I got a bit into aerospace designs so if a bigger project comes along maybe some day I'll get to go to Alabama.

And no brewery. This wasn't in Belgium :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ok, but a pastor with one of those BT mini-blimps clipped to his ear would look a bit odd. The lapel mike is barely visible and the cable is under the robe. I like to keep things simple. The lower the number of batteries that can go kerploof during a service the better. And a BT ear thingie means one more battery to worry about.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Cardioid will be best; omni will catch every rustling of the clothing, you do NOT want omnidirectional pickup. It's unlikely the aim-for-the-face accuracy will be too much to achieve with the broad half-a-sphere input of a cardioid mike.

Reply to
whit3rd

be

that's

Sure, but rechargeables are fairly reliable if not abused. TANSTAAFL

Reply to
krw

That's about 4 hours North. Nice place, too, but a bit far from Civilization.

*LOTSA* work there, though.

How about the wine?

Reply to
krw

be

that's

We use rechargeables at church. Still it regularly happens that somebody forgot, stuff dies in the middle of a service and we have to figure our how to fix things without interrupting anything. To me the only good battery is a battery that isn't needed.

TANSTAAFL

Yes, there is: LTSpice :-) ... well, not really.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I am not Catholic so could not take part in communion ;-)