LABVIEW

hi

my project advisor asked for a monitoring system for the solar system i'm supposed to set up. he had suggested LABVIEW. can anyone please help with who to connect the LABVIEW module, and if there are alternative monitoring methods

thank you

Reply to
zooz

Well, it's kind of him not to require it for the galaxy or the whole universe.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

no_one

What do you want to monitor from the solar system? Do you want to monitor the movements of the planets or moons included? Do you have already an observatory to connect to LABVIEW?

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Frank Buss ( snipped-for-privacy@frank-buss.de) ha scritto:

:: zooz wrote: :: ::: my project advisor asked for a monitoring system for the solar system ::: i'm supposed to set up. he had suggested LABVIEW. ::: can anyone please help with who to connect the LABVIEW module, ::: and if there are alternative monitoring methods :: :: What do you want to monitor from the solar system? Do you want to monitor :: the movements of the planets or moons included? Do you have already an :: observatory to connect to LABVIEW?

You are joking, aren't you? :-)

Reply to
SBS

Another gmail d*****ad.

Oooops, forgot that I'm one too.

--
You win some and you lose some.
As long as I win the ones you lose that\'s fine by me.

"Bruce Varley" hath wroth:

I think National Instruments is working on an astrology plug-in for Labview, but it hasn't been released yet. With it, one can not only track the movement of heavenly objects, but also predict the results of lab experiments and test results. That saves considerable time in not having to do the actual experiments and tests.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

New employee. Boss gives them something to do to keep them out of everyone's hair.

Its like asking the new guy to fetch 100 yards of flight line. Or a bucket of prop wash.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

Sky hook ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Do you mean "solar power system"?

-- John

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Hey, now your making it too easy for the OP, giving him clues like that. Tut, tut.

--
You win some and you lose some.
As long as I win the ones you lose that\'s fine by me.
Reply to
Hot Jock

Gallon of pneumatic fluid. Left handed Crescent wrench. In surveying, fetch the trogolite. (Actually theodolite)

In my younger daze, I was a bit more creative. I convinced a clueless foreign exchange student that he needed to grease his sheet metal thoroughly before spot welding the pieces together. That was fun.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're lucky nobody asked for a troglodyte, or the new guy would have come back dragging Thompson.

(Ducking and running) ;-)

Senior staff curmudgeon.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

A bucket of steam.

Reply to
JosephKK

Take care around Uranus. Be certain to fully discharge first.

Reply to
Robbo

_Really_ bad ;-)

BTW: Is Plantronics still in Santa Cruz? MANY years ago I designed a couple of (telephone) line-powered head-set chips for them.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson hath wroth:

I gotta learn to use a speling chequer. Troglodyte. The reason I (almost) remember the trick is that I was the victim of that joke. I was working with a survey crew on a summer job while in college. I was asked to fetch the troglodyte and to ask someone if I couldn't find it. It took a while to understand why everyone was laughing at me.

Ah, but it was sooooo much fun. When the grease exploded, I was on my way out the door. It painted a nice thin black horizontal line across his white shirt from elbow to elbow.

However, I had a bigger problem. I had successfully insulted one of his associates. His "assistant" was really a body guard and was openly trying to kill me. I made a point of disappearing for a few days, while my friends explained to those involved that in the USA, one does not murder people for minor insults. My stunt with the grease explosion did not help.

Lesson: International customs and practices vary.

Plantronics management and engineering is still in Santa Cruz. However, most of the manufacturing is in Mexico as Plamex. Lots of stuff also seems to be coming from China. I know nothing about these offshore operations.

At one point, I wanted to work for them as an engineer. An interview was arranged where the manager asked me to analyze and comment on the design of the then popular Plantronics PhoneBeam IR cordless speaker phone. After a quick glance at the schematic and internal construction, I tore it apart as an example of overkill, complexity, and exessive component count. I was about to tear into the mechanical design and offer alternatives, when I was asked to stop due to alleged lack of time. I later was informed that my interviewer had designed the PhoneBeam electronics and generally failed to appreciate any form of criticism. So much for my career at Plantronics.

Lesson: Diplomacy is more important than objectivity.

Incidentally, we also have Raytek locally, which is now owned by Fluke:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

What a tool... anyone who'd ask someone else for constructive criticism on their design when in acutality they're just looking for kudos on how great it is shouldn't be doing technical interviews in the first place.

Depends on the company...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

"Joel Koltner" hath wroth:

I beg to differ. The interviewer wasn't looking for approval. He had a design that he was intimately familiar with. He probably knew all the problems that it had in production. It's highly likely that most of my criticism were already known or at least had been suggested by others. He could easily tell if I was taking a systems approach to the design, or whether I was taking pot shots at parts and pieces that didn't follow my favorite methodology. Were the circumstances reversed, I probably would have done something similar. (Actually, I have done something similar when hiring techs, but was told to cease by the personnel dept. See below).

Friends working for Plantronics at the time eventually leaked that the interviewer was not very happy with me after the interview. Apparently (my guess) I had hit upon too many of the low points of his design for him to be comfortable having me around. The emperors new clothes were not invisible, but they certainly had some big holes.

When I still was in the job market, I interviewed with a few assorted companies. The ones with smaller engineering departments were a disaster. My problems interviewing at Plantronics were about the worst. However, I had plenty of other problems dealing with managers and other engineers. The managers tended to look for how well I would "get along" with the rest of his team. The engineers tended to hand me their problem of the day to solve. One interviewer spent the entire interview negotiating where I would fit into his wall size organizational chart. If there were any real competence tests, they were well hidden.

As usual, I prefer to be part of the problem instead of the solution. I was in the position of having to hire engineering techs for perhaps

8 years. After some bad decisions, I decided that I would study the matter and improve my interrogation skills. Lacking the time to take the necessary courses, I resorted to trickery.

The prospective tech would be shown one of our current RF boards and asked to identify as many components as possible. This was presented as a test of experience. Afterwards, I would give the tech a tour of the circuit board, explain the functions involved, detail some of the components, and reference the associated schematic.

Then, I would give them a tour of the plant and facilities or perhaps go to lunch. Afterwards, we would end up back at my messy office, where I would drag out the same identical board, and ask the same identical question. If they had been paying attention when I gave them a tour of the board, and absorbed even some of my technobabble, they were a likely candidate. If they could do no better than the initial analysis, they were history.

True. I didn't do well at large companies. Probably my lack of diplomacy, tact, humility, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff,

Hmm... ok, so someone who doesn't want people around who are more adept than they are shouldn't be doing technical interviews then?

Ironically good businessmen are specifically looking to hire people with skills they don't possess or aren't particularly good at... but of course many an engineer isn't a good businessman...

This is always a problem in some companies -- "getting along" is more important than "being technically correct." Granted, there are better ways and worse ways to go about rocking the boat, but many just can't take constructive criticism regardless of how it's presented.

Definitely sounds like a good test for whether or not they're interested in the particular job and not just any old random one to pass the hours between 9 and 5.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner