Labelling Prototypes

Anyone who wants a sample, email your snail mail address to macarthur then "at" then physics then dot then harvard then dot then edu I'm swimming in failed attempts, and I'd be happy to get some of them off of my bench.

-Jim MacA.

Reply to
Jim MacArthur

Ian Bell asks

The key thing about labelling prototypes is that it must be done in such a manner that Sales are unwilling to sell your working reference unit!

I thought my last project's "golden reference sample" was safe when it came back from the test lab with dents all over it from impact tests. However, to meet a sales deadline one of the managers prised it out of my claws, had the dents hammered out, retouched the paint, and sent it a quarter of the way round the globe.

I'll need to weld something unsightly onto the case next time, scratch it up good and proper, drill a few "ventilation" holes in a carefully non-straight line, and add a spurious heatsink to ensure it won't fit in a normal box!

--
Nemo
Reply to

Bwahahahaha! BTDT! I've had Motorola salesmen drift thru my lab, then sell chips that weren't even designed yet. Finally I resorted to banning sales personnel from my labs and offices :-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
       politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.

Do you put clear adhesive plastic (like Contact) over the paper? Might be able to use cutouts for LEDs then.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Remember I am in the UK. Gunsmiths are not common.

Cheers

ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Yes, I already tried that but none I can find can hand a 3U 19inch panel.

Cheers

ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ian...

Please give this a look over..

This technique allows you to make dry transfer labels, including colored graphics. I've used this many times and the results are as good as or better than silk screening. Takes a bit of practice but I find it to be the ideal way to do what you want. Your labeling will definitely look professional. There are some actual users who posted their results. You can buy the laminator on Ebay for about $25 dollars. I think I paid about $50 to buy everything that I needed and the supplies will last quite a while. The fellow is extremely helpful when you request support. Try this and you will not go back to the old methods. The only drawback to this is you do need a laser printer and it takes a little time. Once you get the knack, it goes fast.

Good luck Jim

Oh, by the way... You can make WHITE transfer labels that can be rub onto the panels. I know of no other way (other than silkscreening) for doing this...

Reply to
Jim Flanagan

particularly=20

that=20

easily=20

reasonable=20

plunge=20

Good enough only for personal use.

Reply to
JosephKK

labelling.

might

use???

info:

The black background with the inkjet is killing you. It is a CYMK (subtractive) color space that works best on white backgrounds. Try color laser (opaque pigmented polyester powder, like powder coating processes) to clear film instead.

=20

Reply to
JosephKK

Thsanks once again for all the replies and the numerous suggestions.

I am now considering engraving because there seems to be a number of devices that will do PCB milling and front panel engraving and one that even does front panel cut outs too. Such a device would allow me to do all my prototype PCBs, front panels and cut outs on one device.

So, currently I am looking at the LPKF Protomate series, either the S42 of the S62. Anyone used these and what kind of price are they?

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

dubya dubya dubya dot dremel tewl dot calm

Reply to
AM