OT: a presentation on Lead-free solder

I'm constructing a talk/presentation on PbF for the local-to-me part of the science cafe movement

Title something like A 21 century plague: some reasons for failures/problems in electronic equipment.

If anyone knows of a public domain published like-for-like test between conventional and Pbf boards+components ? I suspect accelerated aging (HALT etc) via thermal +humidity cycling and vibration, to show something like a 3 to 1 advancement of aging before solder faults emerge, but cannot find any such openly published results.

Anyone here familiar with automobile engine management / control electronics issues with PbF, not in-car entertainment issues.

Anyone familiar with de-tinning of tin-tinned components / deballing

+reballing of BGA etc in the defense/aerospace/medical spheres? Problems specifying/guaranteeing components etc are [lead-free]-free if you see what I mean

My email address for anyone not wishing to be on public record , snipped-for-privacy@oneZZZZZZtel.com, minus the ZZZs. Small text only not pics or large files, I can relay a non-internet divulged account for that purpose , if necessary.

Reply to
N_Cook

Can anyone put age/years interpretation to the green/yellow/red solder-type rankings in this publically available document?

Unfortunately, this test data demonstrated that for some component types the lead-free solders failed before the SnPb control. References 1 & 2 stated that models for calculating the actual field lifetime of lead-free solder joints on certain component types will need to be developed due to their reduced life capabilities relative to SnPb.

Vibration testing was conducted by Boeing Phantom Works (Seattle) for the Joint Council on Aging Aircraft/Joint Group on Pollution Prevention (JCAA/JGPP) Lead-Free Solder Project. The JCAA/JG-PP Consortium is the first group to test the reliability of leadfree solder joints against the requirements of the aerospace/military community (1,2).

Test vehicles were specially constructed circuit cards, capable of instant detection of failure of all components. Each test vehicle was 12.75 inches by 9 inches in size, 0.090 inches thick and was populated with 55 components consisting of ceramic leadless chip carriers (CLCC's), plastic leaded chip carriers (PLCC's), TSOP's, TQFP's, BGA's, and PDIP's. Sets of identical components were used in different positions on the cards. The circuit cards were supported by WedgeLoks on the two 9 inch edges. Thirty circuit cards were vibration tested.

Reply to
N_Cook