Correct labelling beside DC socket?

What is the correct symbol that should be next to a DC socket that takes a barrel type plug from a wall wart power supply? I've seen a dotted line above a continuous line and also the other way around (dotted *below* continuous line).

Could someone tell me which way around is correct please? Or are both equally correct?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve S

I like this one, which is very clear, if you have the room for it. They don't show the symbol for DC-out on this adapter.

Spehro Pefhany

You can choose whatever you like, there is no common convention or specification AFAIK. Mr. Woodgate will correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe a semi-circle for the outer conductor is intuitive. The same socket can also be used for low voltage AC supply BTW, in which case the polarity won't matter.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Things that use those plugs usually have a polarity symbol next to the socket. I'd copy one of those.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The circle and dot show the polarity. That is intuitively simple.

A single bold straight line shows it expects to be fed with a regulated supply. A bold line paralleled with a dotted line shows it expects to be fed with an unregulated supply with a nominal voltage as written..

I have seen the dotted line above and below the solid line.

Gibbo

Reply to
ChrisGibboGibson

supply.

an

Thanks Gibbo. I'm using unregulated DC so from what you and others have said either way around is fine. I've got the circle and dot arrangement in place to indicate polarity too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S

The OP appears to be asking for the symbol for 'DC', not for the connector. The ISO/IEC symbol has the dotted line below the sold line.

The symbol for the connector is indeed a '-C' for the outer contact, with an 'o-' embedded in it for the inner contact. It's a symbol that's difficult to simulate compactly in ASCII art.

John Woodgate

Many thanks John - yes it was the standard for the solid line and dotted line that I was after. I've got the circle/dot system already in place (copied from other kit). I will use the ISO/IEC system you've stated - dotted line below solid line.

Steve

Reply to
Steve S

--- (DC) / ------- | - - - - | O------------ | / --- | o------------ | === GND created by Andy´s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta

You're right -- not compact at all. (;-)

Chris

Reply to
CFoley1064

I read in sci.electronics.design that CFoley1064 wrote (in ) about 'Correct labelling beside DC socket?', on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

You can do a bit better than that:

_ / ----| o---- _/

.... but it's hardly elegant.

John Woodgate

Those markings relate to the supply not the connector.

I see John Woodgate's reply pretty much replicates what I was about to say.

If you're designing something to take a wall wart - please put a diode bridge after the socket so that it's not polarity sensitive. It's such a pain otherwise. Better still, add a reservoir cap so it'll run off AC or DC !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

They do ?

Curious that some wall warts are supplied with a polarity reverser then !

Intuitively that would seem to suggest polarity to me. I would expect the general public to uderstand though.

If the socket isn't polarity insensitive, I'd mark it clearly with a plus and minus symbol next to the connector.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I read in sci.electronics.design that Spehro Pefhany wrote (in ) about 'Correct labelling beside DC socket?', on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

It's clear but there is now an attempt to make standard that the centre contact is positive. Note 'make standard' not 'make a standard' - it's far too late for that.

John Woodgate