Lab supply acting up

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Oh, I'd really like one of those machines for a few hours.... Move this tree over there, and that one over here.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Where I live the tops of all the hills (which are really just what=92s not eroded away by all the streams.) are clay, so I have the same problem. When putting in a tree I dig a BIG hole, fill most of it with 'good dirt' and compost, and then add the little tree. Oh google has a new picture of my house.

Type in my street address nine three two welch road. and then my town*

And I get a little bubble on top of my house. The back of my property line is a stream.. you can sorta make out the ravine in the woods.

We have real winters, except for this year :(

George H.

*Java center. just mungling my address a bit.
Reply to
George Herold

[snip]

They're used extensively here in AZ, mostly to manage orange groves. ...Jim Thompson

Yup. I've had to get creative finding places elsewhere in the yard to "discard" the dirt removed from the hole!

The biggest issue I've found with amended soil in *big* holes is you run the risk of the tree "settling" over time. For all trees, this can be A Bad Thing as it tempts you to add soil around the base of the trunk (No!). For citrus, it is doubly bad as you don't want to have a depression near the trunk that allows water to sit against the trunk.

So, I now make a point of slowly refilling the holes -- mixing soil and amendments (and long lasting fertilizer, insecticide, etc.) in shallow *layers*. Then, tamping each layer before advancing to the next layer. Finally, arranging for the top of the rootball to sit a bit higher than the surrounding grade so that future pooled water won't put it at risk.

This must have been a bit too clever for me! And I get a little bubble on top of my house. The back of my

I sorely miss the change of seasons -- and GOOD apples! (And, winters are great when you don't *have* to go out :> )

Reply to
Don Y

I think maybe i have an idea. Fairly short term exertion is usually supplied by sugar conversions from the liver and pancreas. Whereas more sustained loads (hours) are supplied from adipose conversions.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

light

There is a known issue with "stumping powders". Often between 5 and 20 years there are subsidences as the voids created by the larger roots collapse.

Reply to
josephkk

That reminds me:

Manzinita and other high Chaparral semiarid plants do best when burned every 4 to 10 years. And almost all forests do best when burned about 20 to 50 years apart. One of National Forest Service's better kept = "secrets" even from their own employees. Case in point, look as how fast the ash covered areas after Mount St. Helens are recovering (especially where humans did not interfere).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That is probably correct for one offs. The price should drop dramatically with log() of holes.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yeah spring is not the same without a nice hard winter. I love going out into the woods after a really big snow fall. (three or more feet.) It's a 'quiet' like nothing else I know. A good long freeze also keeps the vermin down! (I'm thinking of ticks and chiggers.)

It's hard to find good apples even around here. (Certainly not in the supermarkets.) There are some farmers markets where you can find them.

There seems to be a growing movement towards better tasting foods in the US though, like the beer revolution of several years ago. If we all start buying better tasting apples (and tomatoes!) someone will grow them for us.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ah. I thought "Java Center" was a cryptic reference to Sun's Headquarters (Santa Clara). When *that* didn't work, I was stumped! :-)

Problem solved. ICBM on it's way... ;-)

Yikes! I forgot what *green* looks like!! :<

OTOH, I don't miss the pollen associated with all of it. (curiously, it seems like allergies are *worse* for more people out here)

Front lawn here is 2.5 ft "thick" layer of lupines with poppies and blue bells trying to squeak through. What the neighbors call "Noteworthy". :>

Woods south of the house? Another thing missing here: "respectable" trees. Just dinky things (even the big pines aren't particularly impressive).

OTOH, all these softwoods really do *grow* fast! And, some of the desert plants visibly grow overnight!

I always enjoyed a heavy snow *iced over*. The sort where you tentatively put your foot *on* the snow and wonder if the "crust" will support your weight without breaking through. Excellent for kamikaze *sledding* (as long as you never have to

*brake*!)

We have multiple growing seasons so something is *always* in bloom. Easy on the eyes -- dreadful for the allergies!

The latter is the key. I *once* found a Macoun in a grocery store. (used to grow them where I grew up) It was terribly disappointing. Tasted too much like a Delicious.

Here, I've had to substitute Blood Oranges (despite NOT liking oranges) for "exceptional fruit". Seeing *red* oranges hanging on a tree is slightly unnerving. And, ending up with something close to the color of Hawaiian Punch when juicing them takes a

*lot* of getting used to (I close my eyes when drinking it as the visual cues are *so* confusing!)

We actually were stunned to encounter good tasting tomatoes at a sandwich shop/deli a few weeks ago. Went back expecting the same -- and were hugely disappointed. Apparently just a fluke -- not a "reliable supplier" (that we could inquire about).

I think local growers -- or, roll your own -- makes a big difference in the quality and taste of the fruit (esp). E.g., we let things ripen on the trees instead of harvesting and storing. A fresh picked orange tends to taste a lot sweeter than something that was picked a week ago (prematurely) and set in a box in some produce warehouse. (We actually 'test' which fruit 'want' to be picked before picking them)

I'm told you can grow really sweet cantelope, here -- but I don't like melons! :> (and there's a limit to how many pomegranates you can eat before your mouth ends up in a perpetual pucker!)

Reply to
Don Y

People from Buffalo are not like other folks. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some things take patience :-) A few years ago I planted a chestnut tree which had just sprouted. It takes about 10 to 12 years before a chestnut tree starts to produce nuts. It grows very slow as well, especially compared to Maple Leaf trees which grow like weed in my garden.

Lime? Why grow sour fruit? Or do all the cats in your neighbourhood look like this cat:

If I lived in a suitable climate I'd grow small oranges, mango, maybe pineapple or even bananas.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hi Nico,

Some apples can take decades to bear fruit. Most *citrus* (in a suitable environment) will produce from a young age.

I use a *lot* of lemon (think: tea). And, we use a few hundred limes annually (homemade guacamole, lime sorbet, etc.). It's never hard finding someone willing to take a bag of limes off your hands! :-/ (despite their size -- not those dinky "key" limes!)

[actually, if you let lemons and limes get a bit past "full ripe", they become very SWEET]

We have three different oranges, a lemon, a lime and (soon to be discarded) pomegranate. That;s a bit more fruit than the two of us can consume (why grow anything more?)

Pineapple is picky about where it will grow. Bananas don't like high winds, etc.

We've considered *what* we grow with an idea towards what we *want* from it. Bananas are cheap and relatively available (though finding good/ripe bananas is a bit of a challenge -- we found one supplier here who DOESN'T carry Dole/Chiquita and have been very pleased with the quality of the fruit).

Blood oranges are hard to find and worth the effort to postpone harvesting until peak sweetness.

The navels similarly benefit from this sort of delay -- it's hard to find anything store-bought that compares in sweetness.

The Valencia was a mistake. Planted thinking its extra yield would be beneficial for juice yield. But, we've found the Navels to give a much better quality juice!

Unfortunately, the valencia (a "full size" tree -- 25 ft) seems to survive the cold better than we NOW hope (we'd prefer removing it and replacing it with another Navel/Blood)

Reply to
Don Y

We grow oranges, limes, lemons and grapefruit (Texas reds... bigger than large softballs).

Limes: Use in food recipes, or in gin-and-tonics ;-) ...Jim Thompson

=92s

I'll take that as a compliment.

During a 'good' winter my creek freezes over and becomes a X-country skiing highway. (It can be interesting getting down the water falls.) The ice 'dripping' off the ravine is beautiful. Enjoying winter is about the proper gear, lots of wool and thermal underwear.

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold

Winter is best viewed from afar... via television ;-)

But I guess the phrase works alternately... People from Arizona are not like other folks ;-) ...Jim Thompson

There's an old road that goes down the side of the ravine. It's been dug out here and there by 'gully washers'. After there's a few feet of snow it makes a great sledding trail. Well not the sleds with metal runner's that I used a young kid. But these plastic coasters. Wicked fun! Did I mention I'm still a kid at heart.

I planted some tomatoes of my own two years ago. Some blight killed them while I was away on vacation for two weeks. Maybe I should try again. I love BLT's!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

No, you need to be able to look out your back windows up at beautiful snow capped mountains, and then go out to your pool and swim a few laps... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I can do that, Superstition Mountains to the east ;-) ...Jim Thompson