OEM

I need to add another relay to disconnect both phone wires instead of just one, and I need to replace the crossover switch from a slide switch to a toggle switch (crossover between land line and Google Voice). Then I'll be set.

Screwing with operating systems, I downloaded an OEM XP Home. I've got two product keys for it, so hopefully one of them will work. I actually *own* one of the product keys for all the bucks I paid for the program. I'm hoping that OEM means it works for all legitimate product keys. It probably doesn't. I gave the XP laptop to my buddy who after 7 years crashed it and we have been trying to get back to the chuck wagon ever since.

Reply to
Jon

OEM versions of software do not allow you to use the product key on multiple hardware. If it has been registered before then you need at least to use the same CPU.

Reply to
David Eather

That is the theory, but you can move the OS a few times. It just needs to phone home. I had a mobo cap failure and moved the hard drives to a PC that I was running linux on. WIn 7 OEM complained, but then i went through a procedure to get it legal again. I hope to move the OS to a new machine since running on the old linux hardware was a temporary move.

My understanding is you get three times to move it.

While I trash Apple often, I give them credit for not making the customer deal with this crap. In my case, all my systems other than notebooks are built by me, so it is not like a got a clone from some store and am trying to move the OS to a different computer. I have two copies of win 7 64 bit OEM purchased at Fry's, not from a clone peddler.

I think Apple only sells two flavors of the OS, and it is quite reasonably priced. Windows is very expensive for home builders.

Reply to
miso