Kapton tape and thermal vias

Has anyone used Kapton tape to prevent solder bleeding through thermal vias during reflow? Is this feasible? Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

Not me. I like solder in thermal vias.

Sure. There's some other, cheaper kind of solder masking tape, too.

John

I bougth some for heaters. Looks like regular Mylar glue on the backside.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Sure, how much paste are you applying to the thermal pad?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Depending on your thermal profile, you could get away with something MUCH cheaper. We have one product that an edge connector is protected with good 'ol blue painter's tape folded over the PCB.

Reply to
WangoTango

Me too, but I'm bolting a heatsink under the vias...Need a flat surface with least amount of effort.

Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

Thanks all.