joule capacity of surface-mount resistors

very

short

you describe.

have

cupped

Ya. I saw the photo, and they do look cool. But the pulse power to continuous power handling capability is not as good as metal film, metal foil, wirewound (includes foil wound), or carbon composition resistors.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Ha- there's a daewoo IC there. I forgot about them. Apparently they collapsed in 1999.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Note that the entire mess came from the contents of two small electrolytics. The "cans" are the purple and black things near the middle of the picture.

Daewoo came back from the dead in about 2006: and is now part of the Dongbu group: Incidentally, Daewoo means "Woo the great". Woo was the name of company founder. More in the same style: Yes, the hard drive died young.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I'd

I'm

surface-mount

long.

the

that

wirewound

10

tau. A

seeing

A tungsten bulb's filament is free-standing, so there's not much shear stress to cause cracking and fatigue. Also the annealing temperature of tungsten is below 2000K iirc, so the filament itself is always in the fully-annealed state, so no work-hardening is expected.

Something like a coil of wire hanging on long skinny supports is about the best structure imaginable for resisting thermal fatigue.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'd

and

open

1 inch

If the scope runs Windows, I agree with you. There's a trend away from that at the moment (hurrah), so it may soon be possible to have a scope that you can hang on a network and not have to worry about.

I'd be quite unlikely to spend big bux for a low-volume digitizer box that didn't have a display attached. I can just imagine what finding drivers for something like that would be like in, say, 10 years' time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--- "Long skinny supports" certainly doesn't apply to the Maglite lamps you've cited, and one would expect that, since the points of attachment of the filament to the electrodes run much cooler than the radiating parts of the filament, the mechanical expansion of the filament during heating will stress the joint in compression and shear, causing work-hardening and, ultimately, failure to occur at the joint.

Then there's also what happens when the flashlight is turned off...

-- JF

Reply to
John Fields

--
If you have drivers for it now, why wouldn't they work 10 years from
now?

After all, VGA is still viable.
Reply to
John Fields
[.....]

Drivers? Who needs drivers? You'd control the thing using an ordinary web browser.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen

Why not do a study of the fatigue properties of light bulbs, and tell us how they perform?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Since you're the one who broached the subject, and it's been
contested, it seems to me that you're the one upon whom the onus of

Why? Your deciding (for reasons of your own) to go snapping round my ankles doesn't obligate me at all. If you don't like the idea, don't use it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

yeah, you'll probably still be able to run windows 8 in 10 years time.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

?)Aw4rXwN5u0~$nqKj`xPz>xHCwgi^q+^?Ri*+R(&uv2=E1Q0Zk(>h!~o2ID@6{uf8s;a+M[5[U[QT7xFN%^gR"=tuJw%TXXR'Fp~W;(T"1(739R%m0Yyyv*gkG> > > >

The issue is, can you configure a newish computer to run the old drivers? Maybe yes, maybe no. A dozen years ago, the latest and greatest MS OS was Win 2k. Can you run those drivers today?

Hardware is changing more rapidly now than 10 years ago, and the changes are not in Microsoft's favour. Also, attacks always get better, never worse, so even if you stick with antique hardware, who knows how long one will be able to connect such a computer to the network?

Some nice self-contained thing with a non-Windows OS in write-protected flash memory is the ticket, at least for my money.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

?)Aw4rXwN5u0~$nqKj`xPz>xHCwgi^q+^?Ri*+R(&uv2=E1Q0Zk(>h!~o2ID@6{uf8s;a+M[5[U[QT7xFN%^gR"=tuJw%TXXR'Fp~W;(T"1(739R%m0Yyyv*gkG>> >>

Until a few years ago I ran a printer from the early 90's. The only reason I stopped was that it began to fall apart. Then there's my logic analyzer from the mid-80's. Operates through RS232, no problems either. Although I haven't needed it in years.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

?)Aw4rXwN5u0~$nqKj`xPz>xHCwgi^q+^?Ri*+R(&uv2=E1Q0Zk(>h!~o2ID@6{uf8s;a+M[5[U[QT7xFN%^gR"=tuJw%TXXR'Fp~W;(T"1(739R%m0Yyyv*gkG> >> > >>

Good luck to the malware writers infecting a boat anchor over GPIB or RS232!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

?)Aw4rXwN5u0~$nqKj`xPz>xHCwgi^q+^?Ri*+R(&uv2=E1Q0Zk(>h!~o2ID@6{uf8s;a+M[5[U[QT7xFN%^gR"=tuJw%TXXR'Fp~W;(T"1(739R%m0Yyyv*gkG>>

Yes, a jumper is always the best way!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

--
Hardly snapping round your ankles; I was merely pointing out an
inconsistency in your earlier post, to which you took umbrage and

You give such deLIGHTful examples..

Reply to
Robert Baer

?)Aw4rXwN5u0~$nqKj`xPz>xHCwgi^q+^?Ri*+R(&uv2=E1Q0Zk(>h!~o2ID@6{uf8s;a+M[5[U[QT7xFN%^gR"=tuJw%TXXR'Fp~W;(T"1(739R%m0Yyyv*gkGoPA.$b,D.w:z+>>

I worked at a place that designed military radios. We were adding an FPGA to provide an interface for a special app and they wanted to be able to download new FPGA bitstreams in the factory or repair depot. Security was a MAJOR issue, so I recommended a jumper. The software people overrode that and made it a software accessible something or other using a "key". Obviously that isn't as secure, but there was no point in arguing. They didn't want to be in a position where they had to depend on a hardware person to tell them which jumper or something silly like that. Heck, if the jumper was a problem in the lab, just always keep it on. Otherwise why take the risk that the "key" could be hacked/copied/predicted... etc. It was one key for *all* units, so if it was compromised the entire set of units was compromised.

--

Rick
Reply to

I think this is a bit larger than he wanted, but otherwise seems to be just the ticket! Odd designing a circuit and even the layout before knowing what part you will be using.

--

Rick
Reply to