joule capacity of surface-mount resistors

They were the big 250 watt military styles, bolt-down aluminum case, screw studs on the ends for connections. The failure was usually a short to the case.

We substituted this, works great:

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

You ought to TDR that thing :)

Reply to
tm

I'd

uoted text -

Hmm, I don't know the 500 uohm/square number... per square inch of Cu?

I figured you'd need ~5 square inches of 1 oz. Cu to make a gram.

So maybe longer and wider (2 oz Cu)? Well unless you can figure on the Cu dragging a bunch of the epoxy along with it.

George H.

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold

dea.

nt

reliable

Ahh, can you use something like that for the current problem? (too big?)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmmn... if it's what I'm remembering, those look really great but have a crappy thermal pathway from element to case. I've seen them fail as you describe.

That does look nice, at least for pulse power. For continuous you'd have to have some good heat path.

Reply to
Frank Miles

I prefer to use electrolytics as weapons of mass destruction:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yup, and if your pulse is fast enough, the heat sink doesn't matter. It's all I^2*t, so it comes down to the volume of the current carrying portion, its thermal capacity, and the maximum temperature it can withstand. Perhaps a length of baling wire would work as well as anything else.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

describe.

The Welwyn things are thickfilm on porcelanized steel. They are slightly cupped so that when you bolt them down, they hug the mounting surface. Neat.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

text -

Per square anything of 1 oz copper.

Yeah, 35 joules into a gram of copper is about an 88 deg C temperature spike.

The epoxy would probably help, as would adjacent power or ground planes. So one gram is probably OK. But 5 square inches, maybe doubled for traces+spaces, is a lot.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Looks like it lost a pie throwing contest.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

With luck, thousands.

What looks practical is to stand a wirewound resistor, roughly 0.25 dia x 1 inch long, on edge. Inelegant.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Hey, copper is a pretty good RTD. Some clever circuit could dump the joules into the coil and measure the temperature before it cools off.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

An assembly house had once changed Ohmite OY-series 100ohm resistors to carbon film resistors. The guy calibrating the device wondered why the device made a strange *phut* sound on every measurement.

Opening the device revealed that the resistors shot out 20mm flames on each measurement! Apparently the films did not like to 3kW peak / 20J load..

The Kanthal Globars you have quite a high maximum operating temperature!

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

inch

I remember those green "vitreous enamelled"" wirewounds from my youth, you could put them on car batteries and they would glow orange-hot, melting the glass. You could see the coil through the glass.

Didn't seem to do them much harm at the time, but hardly a scientific test!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

t? I'd

ic

I'd

It

com

e quoted text -

Got it.. so length/width is your 6,000. (for three ohms) If area is 5 sq-in. I get a width of 30 mil and a length of ~180" (ouch!) For your long time scales you might guess you get twice the volume of fiber glass dragged along... So 1/3 the area...

George H.

ike.

So one

, is a

.highlandtechnology.com  jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Reply to
George Herold

inch

Why not mount it horizontally, but elevated, and put circuitry underneath?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

inch

This board is mainly paved over with tall stuff, caps and heatsinks and connectors. I'd prefer to not cover up the little opamps and things either, cause that makes them hard to probe. I do have a niche in the corner, about 0.3 diameter, that's unused, and I could stand up a wirewound there.

Packaging is 50% of electronics. Actual circuit design, the funnest part, is maybe 10% if that.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

inch

Yup. On the plus side, I just finished specifying a $100k digitizing scope as the back end for a demo instrument. The immediate customer is enthusiastic, partly I think because they'll get to keep the scope when the demo is finished. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and

open

inch

Hmmm, comes out of a different departmental budget. Maybe all they want is the scope!

We recently got a LeCroy (now Teledyne) 4-channel 7 GHz scope for about $50K, Windows based. It does some cool things, when willing.

I guess you can run scope apps on it; haven't looked into that.

Really, it's more logical to get a knobless/screenless digitizer box and connect it to a PC.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'm

surface-mount

long.

the

that

wirewound

seeing

--
Since a Maglite bulb's tungsten filament is subjected to severe length
as well as diametral changes during its excitation, - depending on its

I haven't looked up the TCEs of tungsten or silicon carbide, so it's
all just conjecture, so far.

Do you want to sally forth?
Reply to
John Fields