Surface Mount Capacitor Type

Hello!

I=B4m looking for ceramic surface mount capacitor..., but when i consult some catalogs, i find that there is a "type"..., something like: NP0, X7R, Y5V.......

Someone knows what=B4s the meaning of this "types"?, how could influence my desing?

Many thanks

Andros.

P=2ED: Excuses for my english...

Reply to
Andros

It's the dielectric.

How that might influence you depends on the application.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Your English is actually better than some supposed English speakers !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Those types specify the temperature characteristics of the dielectric

- how the capacitance changes with changes in temperature.

NPO changes very little with temperature - you would want that if the capacitor was used in a timing circuit.

X7R changes quite a bit with temperature - they're fine for power supply bypass and similar applications.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Note also that ceramic dielectrics other than NP0 have non-linearities.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I´m looking for ceramic surface mount capacitor..., but when i consult some catalogs, i find that there is a "type"..., something like: NP0, X7R, Y5V.......

Someone knows what´s the meaning of this "types"?, how could influence my desing?

Many thanks

Andros.

P.D: Excuses for my english...

If you want more information than you have already been given, here is a nice paper.

Ken Finney