Joining the ranks of the old farts

My wife's uncle, next door to me, has finally agreed to sell me his

1986 Z28 camero. It has been a garaged car ~ 90% of it's life and has only 64k miles on it.

It does have a little exhaust leak some where and the paint is a little faded, but I'll get that repainted.

Canary yellow with black strips + T-Top.

All I need to do now is get one of those english caps and take up smoking a pipe to look the part!

Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

I got this, used, because I wanted a small car with 4wd.

I had to explain to my wife that it's just a red car, it doesn't mean anything.

Around here, you see block after block of ugly boring silver and grey SUVs, with just the occasional white and black car for contrast. It's like an old b&w movie from the 1930's.

What's top speed on the Z28? The A3 is claimed to be 156 MPH, but I'm not going to find out, especially with snow tires.

The controls in the A3 are really annoying. Everything is digital, pushbutton, incremental, and you have to take your eyes off the road to do anything. There are lots of things I haven't figured out. Sort of like the early HP digital scopes that nobody could get to work.

As long as we're off-topic... we just scored a bunch of Red Flame grapes and raisins at the little farmers market down the hill. And some Brown Turkey figs. Incredible stuff. And the cranberry beans are here, at last.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Was that turkey fed with GMO free grain?

As for the camaro, The speed'o meter goes to

160 MPH, I really don't know what the top is and don't have an interest to know that :)

I know back in my younger day, we had a Plymouth duster with a 340 and extra goodies, it would do over 160 MPH but that engine had a good size cam and was blue printed balanced to do 10k RPM with no load, which it could do with no problem. :) Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Of the 'Little Old Lady from Pasadena'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

First order of business, pack all the wheel bearings and change the tires... sitting is _not_good_ for cars. ...Jim Thompson

Or for little old ladies. ;-)

After so many years of storage, all of the fluids should be replaced.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep, All _your_ fluids ;-) ...Jim Thompson

How do you get an old fart with a chemistry degree off your front porch?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

little

I don't know, How _do_ "... you get an old fart with a chemistry degree off your front porch?"

Piss on his shoes ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

little

PAY FOR THE DAMN PIZZA!!! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

little

Slowman delivers pizza ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

his

little

Well, he doesn't deliver low distortion oscillators.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

tle

It means it's a Golf with AWD.

That's what frightened me about BMW's for years. I pictured having to find ---- in an emergency, I prefer simple, intuitive, and doesn't require me to look down.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Nothing wrong with that concept - my previous car was a Rabbit - except that it has a 3.2L V6 and a sorta cool/weird 6-speed automatic with two clutches and no torque converter.

The code doesn't seem to crash, but it keeps reminding me that it's smarter than I am.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

sell me his

s life and

aint is a little

nd take up

e the

replaced.

ont

Did Sloman actually get his degree in Chemistry?

Reply to
Greegor

(...)

Possibly true. During my early college days, I owned a silver 1960 Ford Falcon. I slept in the back seat many times, but always alone. Hopefully, the problem was the silver color, not my weird looks. Maybe it was the sleeping bag I kept unrolled on the back seat[1]. It may also have been that the paint job looked like oxidized silver sandpaper and that I only washed it once a year for fear that the paint would fall off.

[1] I was working one or two jobs while going to college. I managed to get an average of 8 hrs sleep per day, but often in 2 hr increments between jobs and classes. It was very convenient to sleep in the car. Attempts to convince eligible young ladies to join me were a total failure. I don't think I could have done better in a red colored vehicle.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Romance isn't especially comfortable in a car. In my Austin-Healey Sprite, it was downright impossible. Trust me on that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Moons ago, an acquaintance told me that he bought his 16YO daughter a Mustang-II so she *couldn't* get in trouble.

Reply to
krw

That explains it!

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Be sure to check all the bushings, belts and bearings - anything that's critical that can oxidize. Motor mounts, too. Still, for a few K you should be in shape. Thing's 27 years old...

They completely redid an IROC on "Counting Cars" and you don't wanna

*know* how much it cost. But that was a car that had been stolen and treated roughly , and involved a new interior. They did add a kill switch....

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill