I want to improve my front door lock

Has anyone ever used this or do you know about it?

Remote control, like a car. Were you pleased? When the batteries get weak, do you know if the door did not get looked? It uses iirc 4 AA cells. (With a car, one locks the door when he's finished driving so the car battery is allways strong.)

What about this push-button combination front door lock?

Any opinions on that? I'd have to lose the key and forget the code to get locked out

Or what about this one:

that uses my fingerprint to let me in. I can't forget that. But does the model you have in mind recognize a fingerprint immediately or do I have to wiggle my finger and wait? (It also takes a key and a combination.) Again batteries, doesn't say how many. (THIS ONE IS FOR INDOORS BUT THERE IS PROBABLY ONE FOR OUTDOORS.

Reply to
micky

Has anyone ever used this or do you know about it?

Remote control, like a car. Were you pleased? When the batteries get weak, do you know if the door did not get looked? It uses iirc 4 AA cells. (With a car, one locks the door when he's finished driving so the car battery is allways strong.)

What about this push-button combination front door lock?

Any opinions on that? I'd have to lose the key and forget the code to get locked out

Or what about this one:

that uses my fingerprint to let me in. I can't forget that. But does the model you have in mind recognize a fingerprint immediately or do I have to wiggle my finger and wait? (It also takes a key and a combination.) Again batteries, doesn't say how many. (THIS ONE IS FOR INDOORS BUT THERE IS PROBABLY ONE FOR OUTDOORS.

Reply to
micky

B01J8UI2YI/ref=sr_1_27

The electronic keypad locks can be damaged by an ESD event, locking you out. And, of course, a dead battery could lock you out, too.

The RF remote locks seem to avoid the ESD issue, but have to keep the radio receiver turned on all the time, that might deplete a small battery pretty quickly.

The mechanical push-button locks have been around a long time, and seem to be fairly reliable.

As for fingerprint, I'd want to have somebody do some testing to make sure the thing will still recognize a finger that has a scrape or blister on it. I have some doubts about that.

Does any of this ACTUALLY give you some benefit? Or, is it just technology for technology's sake?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you are being chased by a bear that hasn't eaten for weeks, having one of these locks could be beneficial.

With the correct IT integration, should be quite be easy to say,

"Alexa, there is a nasty bear chasing me, please open the door!"

"Hi Adrian, I don't know "there is a nasty bear chasing me", here is a track from Amazon music - 'teddy bears picnic'.

--
Adrian C
Reply to

OK - I gotta ask: Why?

If only for convenience, then any of the locks you picked are fine. Just ch ange the batteries every time-change, whether they need it or not. Do keep in mind that these locks can go wonky for any number of reasons, and that, if our neighbor is any indication, they have a very short (perhaps 3-5 year s) life span. They just replaced their lock for the third time in nine year s, each time going up a tier in apparent quality. The last one failed after a very hard freeze and being un-exercised for a week. Imagine getting home at 3:00 am and finding the lock inert. The key simply turned 360 degrees w ithout catching and the remote did nothing even though the LED on it and on the lock responded. They had to break out a piece of glass to get the door open.

If for security, even the very best lock is no better than the door frame i t is in. Which, unless it is reinforced with steel in some way is no better than a swift kick. And this is not even getting into bump keys and lock-pi cks.

Some basics:

Light only gives the bad guys light to work with. Motion-activated lights a re only marginally better, and should be on the shortest of possible cycles .

Alarms are good - if properly designed. Few are. But a properly designed sy stem will also handle smoke and fire sensors as well as intrusion. And, ala rms must be stand-alone in every aspect from power to notifications. Lines can be cut, along with power, phone, WiFi and so forth.

Best of luck with it - we keep a very large dog.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

This one is not meant for outdoors, but it has two 9-volt contacts on the bottom, so you can hold a 9-volt battery there in case the one inside dies!

LOL

I got locked out again, 4th time in 35 years, over the weekend, and this time I didn't get back in easily. Had to drill out the lock. So I want to avoid that, and while I'm at it, maybe get some other good features too.

Reply to
micky

So I won't get locked out of the house again.

That's not very good.

Wow. And I don't even have a piece of glass to break, except on the second floor! The first floor has one door and two sliding glass doors, each with a piece of wood or pipe in the channel so they only open 6 inches, even when unlocked.

Security is not the issue. Getting in when I've locked my keys in the house is. (Another time, the hospital lost my keys. No, no one broke in. )

Reply to
micky

Far easier to hide a physical key.

Reply to
John-Del

That is what I have. A hidden key. The 2 grown children I have know where it is incase I or my wife is not around when they want in. There is a keypad outside the garage door to open it up. From there the door to the house is seldom locked.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

So consider a 'belt *and* suspenders' solution based on having a *physical* key. belt: Surely this is some place to hide a physical key: in a fake or under a real rock, bottom/behind mail box, fake panel on storm door, neighbors ga rden, a very inconspicuous place in a gas grill, etc. it *can't* be that d ifficult

suspenders: on your person: inside wallet, inside shoe insole, neck chain, inside cell phone case, etc. or, inside your car - lots of places there an d you can even get creative - magnetic case inside engine compartment or tr unk, inside air filter case, etc...

This is a problem where the KISS approach works well

Reply to
three_jeeps

I have a Master Lock Key Safe mounted to the house. It's in the back yard. There is a LED flashlight that uses a CR2032 battery nearby. It's mounted to bricks with an anchor that requires a nut. They have very little room in them. I store 3 keys, labeled by engraving, in a tiny zip lock bag.

911 has access to the combination.

The fire department here wants you to use a Knox box. You might see these brown boxes on some businesses. You buy the box and mount it and the fire department installs a key cylinder. They have some sort of "controlled access" to the key.

There is a bluetooth enabled lock box for the Real Estate Industry.

I would like an access control system for caregivers.

Reply to
Ron D.

It would take about 45 seconds with this little device:

And make almost no noise. That key-safe would be toast. I saw one used yest erday on a 2" high-pressure steam main (the steam was off, of course). 18 s econds per cut. I expect the key-safe is made from a harder material than the steam pipe, so I figured all of 45 seconds.

In one of the more upscale neighborhoods (Lower Merion) nearby, a group of thieves dressed up in bright red jumpsuits, drove a 24-foot panel truck up a driveway, put a sign out on the lawn: Sam's House Cleaning and Yard Servi ces" and did exactly that. Cleaned out the house in broad daylight.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Nah.

Get a wind chime, one of those oriental looking ones with weird shaped pieces of metal.

Add a lock pick and tension wrench to it. Hang it near your door.

Practice a bit with it - you only have one lock to get used to and you'll quickly learn how to pick that one.

This is zero risk. Real thieves kick your door in. That one in a million who actually knows how to pick a lock already has lock picks. Neighborhood kids won't know what your picks are or how to use them if they did see them.

Reply to
Tim R