Itty bitty O-scope probes

The world is getting smaller, and my O-scope probes are the same size as they were in the 1980s.

A search on "miniature oscilloscope probes" got hits on stuff not much smaller than I'm using now, although my Google Fu is generally spotty.

Does anyone make Really Small oscilloscope probes? Something that'll clip onto a 30-gauge wire and not rip it off of a board, or that (be still my heart) may actually clip onto a leg of a 0.5mm pitch chip?

And -- do they cost less than a car?

And -- who makes 'em, and who sells 'em?

I think that if I could just get something that would stay on an 0603 test point loop I'd be happy -- but smaller is better.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I found this one:

Sorry, but no experience with using or buying one.

Maybe one of these scope probe holding contraptions might be better (and cheaper):

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I've often thought about how to make a cheap x-y-z manipulator/ probe. Store bought ones are ~$1k+

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Rhode and Schwartz (I think it was) has some really slick scope probes.

Reply to
krw

I'm a big fan of Probemaster:

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I would use a piece of 18 gauge bus wire and shape my own holders. Usually I support the bus wire from the legs or holes in the board I'm testing. Drape the cable over the free form bus wire frame and let gravity hold the probe tip in place.

16 gauge AC power wiring should work too.
--

Rick C
Reply to

It sounds like your'e more concerned with the clip than the rest of the probe. For the rest of the probe, there are some alternates.

Do you need fast ns-scale probing? If you have moderately-low impedances, the resistive-probe trick may work well for you.

Here's an s.e.d. post from 15 Sep 2004 04:55:44 -0700: "I suggest a simple 500-ohm low-capacitance probe made from a resistor and some thin RG-174 coax cable.

. ___ ________________BNC .

Reply to
Winfield Hill

I've pondered the same thing, maybe Amish style using a mechanical panto-graph arrangement.

Might be useful for pushing parts around when soldering as well.

Reply to
axolotyl

That's correct, up to a point. For 90% of what I do I could use a set of mini-clips on the end of some really flexible audio cable. It's mostly low-speed digital stuff, and I really only need a scope to tell when the damn thing isn't quite at correct logic levels.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Reply to
Tim Wescott

My experience has been that there is no such thing as "low speed" digital electronics. Nearly all digital circuits are sensitive to noise and signal integrity issues that can involve many MHz considerations.

--

Rick C
Reply to

What's with the non-functional < and > ?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does anyone make a guard comb to place over SOIC/flip-chips etc, so you can safely probe fine pitch IC pins, with no chance of bridging pins ? It would perhaps be a range of comb-edge, or pin hole perforated rows in covers that simply fit over the common formats of SOIC etc. If I knew of the right hardy moulding material I'd make my own using salvaged ICs as templates/moulds

Reply to
N_Cook

Tek's SureToe probe tips are like that. You could make your own with a bit of JB Weld epoxy putty--the poor man's machine shop.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Best to plan test points in your layout.

RL

Reply to
legg

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You need a set of these

type of clips (these

PMK (Germany) make nice probes, for a fraction of the HP/TeK equivalent. They are the OEM of many of the Lecroy probes, unused sets of which can often be found at very keen prices.

This set

is similar to the PMK 007. Close up of the tips
Very fine spring loaded tips can be bought for these, which is handy for use with a probe stand.

This type of probe stand

is offered by a few scope/probe manufactures/retailers at prices at about the same as my car is worth. However, the OEM of these make the same thing for fibre optic light guide support stands (for the likes of Photonic & Leica) and in that guise they can often be found for a few tens of $10.

JM

Forgot to say - the 2 foot stands are also good. PMK have one

which is about 1/3 the cost of the HP equivalent.

JM

?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

I use test tube clamps and stands for a 3rd hand. By tilting the stand up a tiny amount, it get continuous pressure on the probe tip using gravity. Something like these: However, that's sometimes a problem. My base plates are heavy enough that the probe tip will crack SMT components if I'm not careful. So, I added a spring loaded test probe tip adapter (pogo pin): Also, the tilt method doesn't work with round base plates, which are not stable when tilted.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Perhaps "digital stuff where speed isn't much of an issue" would be a better description -- blinking lights, PWM to motors, serial protocols where the levels of clock jitter and/or ringing isn't a big deal, "printf to pin", etc.

I know when it becomes critical to view digital as analog, and in those cases I use a proper probe, sometimes with a higher-than-usual degree of paranoia about getting a good reading.