Its soooo hot in Phoenix...

Not bad, just look at my annual temperature archive. I think I win

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

And 110 is not "hot", its "very warm" :))

Greetings from sunny Las Vegas...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushin

You still use Fahrenheit ? Luckily I'm old enough to know what you mean.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I lived in Phoenix for a years or so, moved there in the middle of summer, in the apartment I moved into the A/C was broken, it took a week to get it fixed, after that I didn't complain about the heat any more :)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well I spent the month of August working in Tempe (short for temperature) one year, and it hit 123F a couple of times. It got down to around 96F at around 3 in the morning and it actually felt refreshing by comparison.

And as regards the 'It ain't the heat it's the humidity' argument - Bullshit. 120F+ is *HOT* You can get all the dry heat you want inside a microwave oven BTW.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

A slight exaggeration I think. The average (40yr) high for July is

108.3F (42.4C), and that's still bloody hot for a monthly average. It would mean they might get the odd 120F day but not too often. I believe the recored max is 122F but some say they have recorded 127F. How many thermometers have a scale reading beyond 120F?

No wonder the locals have fried brains :-)

Ross Herbert

Thou doth exaggerate! I know of only two occasions where temperatures exceeded 120°F in the Phoenix area, and I've lived here for 43 years.

Both these occurrences were in June, our hottest month. August tends toward "high" humidity, ~30%, so to a novice it might "feel" like 120.

That's common in July and August.

It REALLY is terrible here... nobody in their right mind should ever move to Arizona. Stay away for _your_ own health and safety, and for _our_ maintenance of a pristine lifestyle ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Where exactly do you live Martin?

I'm not too sure about the accuracy of archived data on Windguru. For instance it shows the May 26 2005 3pm temp where I am as 22C yet the local official weather bureau temp for that date and time was 25.6C.

Also, looking solely at Perth Australia temperatures for Feb 2004, Windguru archived data shows the maximum 3pm temperature for any day as 31C. The official highest maximum for Feb 2004 was 41.5C.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

No exaderation, the summer I was there ran about 125 every day for a couple of weeks. The locals had 2 comments. This was the mildest summer in years, and few years back they ran 4 days at 136 degrees.

Since there is no 'official' weather reported from QZ, they just dont make the record books; but I doubt that dozens of peoples thermomitors were all wrong at the same time.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Hmmm.. I believe you, but I distinctly remember the talking head on the news saying 123 - could have been 'apparent' temperature or something I suppose. I had come down with some desert plague and was thoroughly hating life, so it kind of stuck with me. This would have been 1980 or 81 IIRC and at the time Tempe was growing and there were crews doing hot tar roofing in that heat! I don't know how they survived.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

That's what Mexicans are for ;-)

...Jim Thompson

OK. You asked for it.

Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie are look "Hey Jim. Are we pouring concrete today?"

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I live just outside Cadiz. I think that windguru is a bit rough and ready on the stats, but its quite good at trends (and wind)

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

I certainly can't doubt the veracity of the QZ locals but I can say that I certainly would take Jim Thompson's advice to stay away from Phoenix if that's an indication of heat..

Speaking of hot places to live... how about Coober Pedy, opal mining capital of the world, in Sth Australia. So hot that more than half the town's population of 3,500 live underground, including churches. Often tops 50C and some reports up to 60C, though this seems doubtful.

Then there's Marble Bar in Western Australia... Record in 1924 of 161 consecutive days of 100F or more. The town has been immortalised in the very funny but little known poem, The Man from Marble Bar by Victor Courtney.

Satan sat by the fires of Hell As from endless time he's sat, And he sniffed great draughts of the brimstone's smell That came as the tongue-flames spat;

Then all at once the devil looked stern For there in the depths of Hell Was a fellow whom never a flame could burn Or goad to an anguished yell;

So Satan stalked to the lonely scene And growled with a stormy brow, 'Now, stranger, tell me what does this mean? You should be well scorched by now.'

But the chappie replied with a laugh quite new; 'This place is too cold by far Just chuck on an extra log or two I'VE COME IN FROM MARBLE BAR!

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Reminds me of "The Cremation of Sam McGee", albeit kinda the opposite direction:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Wed, 25 May 2005 20:33:00 -0700, Luhan Monat wrote (in article ):

One evening I drove my motorcycle home to Tucson from Phoenix. As I passed the bank time & temperature it read:

8:00 pm 120 deg.

Don't know if that was accurate, but it sure stuck in my mind...

--
Please, no "Go Google this" replies. I wouldn\'t
ask a question here if I hadn\'t done that already.

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group