Cue Cat with a timeclock?

Can I use a CueCat to act as a scanner of some sort that would allow me to clock employees in/out?

If so, how?

Any help appreciated.

Rob in NJ

Reply to
xrobevansx

Martin- I should clarify this. I want to use the CueCat as a barcode scanner that would scan an ID Card for my employees. I use a timeclock program now that they have to type in an ID number to clock in and out. I thought an ID card would be easier/faster. I am pretty sure it has the ability to add a magnetic card scanner, so I was wondering if there is a program out there that would allow a barcode reader (CueCat being the reader)

Also, I happen to have an old CueCat lying around and thought it would be useful as a scanner.

Thanks, Rob in NJ

Reply to
xrobevansx

I should also add I am using Picture Timeclock

xrobevansx

I got a couple of used card scanners from All Electronics, built up a small circuit with a PIC12F675, and read serial data into my PC. Interesting data on my credit and other cards including AZ drivers license.

The cost of the card readers was $1.50 but I needed another $5 in parts to make it into serial data. Maybe someone out there has something like this already (for a bit more money, but all assembled).

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

The card reader project is now available on my website.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

it could be easily defeated( think photocopier), try RFID instead

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

google for cuecat (I did) and it seems to reasonably easy to get information out of the cuecat that could be used. You may need a windoze programmer to write some code. Maybe there is already an appliction already written.

dig around

martin

"Wales is a big welsh-shaped rain collection device"

Reply to
martin griffith

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:b3KWnPcA744J:linas.org/banned/cuecat/matrixpm/+Foocat+declawed

Reply to
JeffM

I found that site already, Jeff. but I was too lazy to actually read the entire thing!

Reply to
xrobevansx

I started collecting Cue Cats from the very beginning. While they are cheap and available, I think you need to investigate RFID tags.

The tags are free, available at any Wal Mart or any store that sells cd's/DVD's. To have them transmit an inch of so, you do not need much rf power from the reader hardware and this would be simple to construct. The RFID is easily defeated by those who know how they work, but they are probably your best option.

There is a wealth of info on the internet about RFID and how to build receivers/transmitters. Google for them and check the idea out before trying the cue cat.

Before closing, I'd like to comment on the Cue Cat's reliability in constant use. I set up some local small business operations with them, and they work well. The electronics is first rate, and for the 20 or

25 of them I had in the field, there has not been a single electronics failure in the last 5 years. BUT........the cables fail often. I haven't counted the number of cables I had to change, but it has been a constant problem, sometimes changing 2 per week! Eventually I scrapped the connector on the PCB and started soldering the wires directly to the PCB. The failures continue to this day, the wires break near the Cue Cat end from the flexing.

I am about to try some higher quality cables, such as cat5 or similar type, but have not done this yet. The plug that goes on the PC end is hard to come by without having wires already connected to it, otherwise I would have tried this already.

Regards,

Mebart

I had remembered when hacking this thing was a hot topic on Slashdot and did a sitesearch on that. The Foocat thing popped right up. Another search for Foocat, then on Foocat+declawed led me to linas.org. When I got there, it was deja vu all over again for me too. : : BTW, I like it when my name gets left in the response. (I read at Google too and that makes it easier to find replies.)

Others (who use newsreaders) like it when some context from the last post is included.

This will show you the easy way (hint: Don't click the Reply link):

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-wish+what-*-I'm-*-context

Reply to
JeffM