EU lead-free directive

Hi,

This comes in mid-2006 and AIUI requires that lead content is below

0.1%.

Surely, one could achieve this by making the overall product heavier?

Or does it work on a per-circuit-board basis? In that case, the lead in standard solder will probably weigh more than 0.1% of the weight of the populated PCB....

This could be a serious problem for any company that is slowly running down a stock of old chips. These won't be lead-free, and neither will be any chips purchased from the many used chip vendors who pass on surplus stock. I expect a lot of their business will dry up since many companies are requiring *zero* lead content on *all* components.

Any views?

Reply to
Peter

I heard that too, that you can pass the limits by delivering the electronics on top of a 5 pound solid steel slab. That is almost infinitely silly.

Since the leaded cases can easily be combined with the rest of the leadfree technology, eg leadfree pcb, leadfree solder, ... I'd just use up the stock and just don't tell anyone.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Peter schrieb:

It works on a per-material basis.

Yes, it is a problem, and it has already been discussed here and elsewhere.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.

Rene Tschaggelar schrieb:

You're wrong, it works vice versa: you can easily use lead-free parts in a lead-containing process (except for BGAs, and unless the higher soldering temperature won't damage the older parts that were built for lower temperatures). Once you have switched to leadfree solder in the wave soldering machine, any lead-containing part (especially PCBs with HAL) will contaminate the solder. Of course you need /many/ parts before the solder reaches 0.1% lead...

(SMT/Reflow is much simpler in this concern, as the solder does not touch anything else.)

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

What does this mean?

Reply to
Peter

Peter schrieb:

Each material must be RoHS conform, for example contain less than 0.1% lead (similar tresholds exist for the other "evil" substances).

As an example, often an IC is used: it consists of a) the die itself b) the leadframe c) the expoxy encasing d) the surface finish of the leads.

*Each* of these materials must conform to the RoHS directive.

Another example is a simple cable, where the metal wire is defined as a single material and the plastic insulation as another material, and both must conform to the RoHS limits.

For assembled boards, this extents to the PCB base material, its surface finish (HAL) where it persists after soldering, the solder, and all parts (for those see above).

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

Thank you for the explanation. This in effect means that chips (SMT ot PTH) with leaded solder on their legs cannot be used.

There will be a LOT of stock being scrapped. Smaller companies will just lie :) Remove the datecodes on any such chips of course, as anything dated before about 2004 isn't likely to be ROHS compliant.

A really stupid regulation, given the huge amount of lead used in car batteries for example....

Reply to
Peter
[...]

I am reminded of a mass-produced packaged "lunch" sold by a well-known American company that consists of crackers, lunch meat (e.g., cold ham, turkey, or sausage), cheese slices, a small candy bar, and a container of fruit juice. Because of the labeling laws in the U.S., the weight of the juice was included in the weight of the product, and the weight of "fat" as a proportion of the total weight of the product was below a specified threshold, so it could be sold as "low fat."

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

"Peter" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

It's laws and directives on one side, and people and companies not (fully) complying with them on the other side. It has always been that way. So you can take a risk, pay a fine if you get caught, and probably a very damn small one, if you explain your situation. Soup is not consumed as hot as it is prepared.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Peter schrieb:

Exactly. And particularly these are one of the exceptions, and will be used without any change.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
http://www.autometer.de - Elektronik nach Maß.
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

Note that this requirement will probably trickle down to the engineer. Management will ask the eng. to state that the product complies. Guess who gets the blame.

gm

Reply to
GMM50

Peter wrote: [...]

Not really, considering the usually responsible way used up batteries are dealt with, and the usually convenient way used up electronics are dealt with.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

As long as you have a RoHS statement from the manufacturer, there is no way you as an engineer can be held culpable if the mfr doesn't fully comply.

Reply to
larwe

Oh so management will take the blame.... I don't think so.

Anyway it's certainly a big change in components and change in process that will take a relative long time to iorn out.

gm

Reply to
GMM50

Hello Bryan,

Car batteries yes. Mostly. But what about those things with sealed lead acid batteries in them?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Speaking of who gets blamed, I once insisted on working a contract type job as an employee. It was medical equipment. Anybody sues us, they can't sue an employee, as they could a subcontractor.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Sorry, that was an interesting interpretation, was tried and caused sqeals of protest from the EU tech committes.

It was 0.1% of ANY homogenous material, not the total weight. Homogenous was defined as any material that canot be mechanically divided.

Maybe the French saying "stick your constitution where the sun don't shine" will give them something else to think about, instead of crazy lead-free rules and dictates.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Hello Barry,

Doesn't open that a door to another interpretation battle? Even a die can be mechanically divided with a dicing saw. So if that won't count as being separable, how about potting up the whole thing?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You are wrong here. If you are the person in the company who is the professional expert on the subject and your advice is wrong, it is you who can be personally sued. If your advice is correct and the management over-rule it, then the management can be sued.

Of course what actually happens depends upon the type of loss. If the loss is a simple monetary one, then the company can be held to be vicariously liable and are likely to be sued as well, because they are the ones with the (insurance) money. But if the loss is of a life, then it is the individual engineer who is the one in the dock on the manslaughter charge.

If you want, I am sure that I can find you some examples.

tim

Reply to
tim (moved to sweden)

Only if you are an officer of the company and are a "PE" or similar with sign-off responsibility.

On this side of the pond, they must first prove criminal negligence, otherwise it's simply a financial responsibility of the company.

...Jim Thompson