Digi-Key

I don't know where you are, but it sounds like you are having to deal with US export control laws which, to most engineers, seem quite restrictive. They (and their counterparts in other countries) tend to get out of date, with the effect that they ban the export of commonplace parts which were state-of-the-art strategic technology a few years ago. This would explain the questions and possibly the missing parts. Don't know about the wrong address though - that just sounds sloppy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Kavanagh

Fernando,

I have not had any of these problems with digikey. Are you in a country other than the US? Maybe you are dealing with a different part of the company.

It certainly sounds as though part of the problem is related to export control.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Probably that order for bomb fuses raised some eyebrows as well ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Judging by the coherency your post, it think that the problem is on your end. I have been purchasing from Digikey for number of years without any problems.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

I would like to obtain information on the firm Digi-Key, because I have been suffering a lot with my requests of purchases. Digi-Key sends me many e-mails (after I make the purchase request with all the information that Digi-Key asks) with several request of information on what do, with it will be used the components, etc. after all this, that It upsets me plenty, it orders my request for wrong address and with the half of the request lacking components.

Is there some thing happening with Digi-Key that justifies that total disorder? Tia

Reply to
Fernando

Many, many, years ago, I had to buy some plumbing supplies. As it turned out, these included a 1 foot section of 1-1/2 inch pipe and two screw-on end caps.

Because I didnt have a basket, I just screwed the parts together as I shopped. I layed the thing down on the check out counter and the person there just scanned the three bar codes without a second look.

Just wouldn't recommend anyone doing that today.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm

Oddly enough if you're in the States Digi-Key is slightly better than Mouser -- mostly because Digi-Key has a superior website.

The US State Department makes the export control stuff sound pretty scary. If you're going to ship internationally you have to get licences which have to be signed by an export control officer on your end -- and if there is any charge of negligence or misrepresentation it's the export control officer who gets to go to jail.

So I don't blame folks for being a bit jittery about exporting stuff from the US.

But look at it this way: This is our way of encouraging _your_ home-grown high-tech industry! Think of it as protectionism in reverse.

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I would never ever find a friend in the USA who will buy the parts for me, send me the parts as a gift, and I repay the friend for the gift with Paypal. No sir, not me. That would be illegal.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Just don't buy the razor blades at the same store where you buy the apples.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I wish I'd known about this in 1971 when I bought a set of Noritake china in Japan to ship to my folks.

Turned out the duty was almost as much as the price of the china. )-:<

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A man of experience.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

It's only logical. You don't buy your sulfur, charcoal, and KNO3 all at the same place, either. ;-)

And just for the record, I have never done anything that would harm a child, or any other human, for that matter, and never will.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When they ask you how soon you need these, always answer 'yesterday'.

--
Luhan Monat: luhanis(at)yahoo(dot)com
http://members.cox.net/berniekm
"Any sufficiently advanced magick is
indistinguishable from technology."
Reply to
Luhan Monat

I've had more problems with shipping from Mouser than Digikey. Not that either have been much of an issue.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

I used Digi-Key recently from the UK and didn't have any problems.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Im in the UK and have ordered from Digikey a number of times, never with any problems at all. Like one reply I would bet its your poor English which may be the problem.

Reply to
Oliver Hannaford-Day

I have from the same supply house, along with picric acid, RFNA, and other nastiness.

I was only teasing. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Guy Macon

the

The free just refers to duty really. Some other regulations (ownership, taxation, enviromental regulation) usually get tossed in as well, but there are still a lot of regulations left to put sand in the gears and produce small mountains of paperwork. Free in this case is just less constrained.

However, I don't remember if Brazil is a member of one of the free trade agreements.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

Un bel giorno Fernando digitò:

It isn't digikey's fault, the questions are necessary either for US export laws and (above all) for the destination country's import laws. Maybe you have just given the wrong answers to those questions; usually giving generic, harmless answers works good to me, they never called or e-mailed me back for further questions. They don't give a rat's ass on what the package actually contains (I don't think digikey is put on any terrorist black list), they just need legal clearance. So give it to them, and live happy.

How do you know that the address was wrong? If you received the shipment, the address should be rather good. ;)

A suggestion (valid in general when you buy from USA): don't use accents, dieresis or other "foreign" punctuation (è, ê, ü, ñ etc..) on the shipping informations: they usually mess everything.

--
asd
Reply to