Isola microwave laminate

Impossible to read the scale display on those images. Looks like FR4 and ISOLA 10-90% are the same at ~ 50ps. How sensitive is your design?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

It looks like there are 10 fans on the back of that scope.

2.6 kilowatts power required, weighs 93 pounds.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Strange. The scope shots look sharp and clear to me, with rise times shown. The text file states the corrected rise times, which are 53 and

26 ps for the FR4 and the Isola, both 3", 50-ohm microstrip.

Are you using a phone? That might be hard to see.

My optical transceiver box is clearly suffering from FR4 losses. It's OK for my first customer at 1.2 Gbps, but we may as well make it better on rev B.

The edges should be faster and the flats flatter.

The Rogers laminate will be interesting to try. The copper is shiny, not like the frosty-finish Isola.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

3"? Would never have guessed loss would be significant over that distance.
19" display, but the image won't enlarge and the green background overwhelms the numbers.

Do people use pre-emphasis networks anymore?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That's for sure, but IMHO it is just another instance of the supply-demand template. There are far fewer steam technology experts as well, but their role is even more profound that used to be in the distant past. Quantity and importance are independent variables, methinks.

There is only one NIF and you appear to saturate the niche. What would your competitors do if there were many of them?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

I thought it was 1.3 million. There is a youtube video that disassembles the unit and describes how it works:

TSP #133 - Keysight UXR 110GHz BW, 256GS/s, 10-bit Real-Time Oscilloscope Teardown & Experiments

Science teaches us to trust. - sw
Reply to
Steve Wilson

We did the blue test board to investigate FR4 losses. It's hard to go even 1" on FR4 without wrecking 40 ps edges.

Sorry. I tweaked the contrast to make the background black. It looks good to me.

Radically, for things like PCIe and nth-gen USB and such. And radical receive equalization. Really fast over-copper signals are unrecognizable until equalized.

I have done tx side pre-emphasis to dive long CAT5 cables where the data is not nicely balanced.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

iptechnology.com:

ple:

$1.3M

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I tested the Rogers equivalent laminate. It's about the same.

Shinier copper, a bit harder to peel. I had to Dremel it off.

I did taper that trace a bit, which could have cost a bit of risetime. Sorry.

Both lams would probably be faster on a properly etched PCB. My hacks are a bit ragged.

I have a real board coming up soon, with a TDR test trace.

I guess if you are designing a new military radar or 5G cell stuff or PCIe gen 19, it's worth it.

I bet it's like a hurricane on your bench. My power strips and maybe outlets couldn't handle it.

I view scopes like this the way I view logic analyzers. If you have to power it up for any reason, you're already having a reeeeeallly bad day.

-- john, KE5FX

Reply to
John Miles, KE5FX

Hey SL0W MAN, that is the sort of bullshit that separates you from polite society. You need to crawl out of your hole, turn off your computer and socialize with people.

Reply to
Flyguy

No, you are right. I mentored a group of seniors in EE and they could not solder. I asked how do you get thru an EE program w/o learning how to solder. They responded that all of their circuits were simulated. If only you could sell simulated products...

Reply to
Flyguy

John Larkin admits that he can't do the regular social interactions that distinguish humans from other anthropoid apes. He doesn't fit into polite society.

Neither does Flyguy. I rest my case.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ample:

solder. I asked how do you get thru an EE program w/o learning how to sold er. They responded that all of their circuits were simulated. If only you c ould sell simulated products...

Actually, you can. Programmers make big bucks.

Universities don't like teaching practical skills - it takes lab space and close supervision by demonstrators to make sure that the students don't dam age themselves too often, all of which costs money and doesn't lead to publ icans and citations.

Sadly, getting things done mostly does take practical skills, and soldering isn't a particularly difficult skill to acquire. I had to learn to do it w hen I was a graduate student, and it wasn't as demanding as computer progra mming, glassblowing, or grinding and polishing cast silica glass until it w as flat enough to use as an optical window.

Quite what kind of educational institution would let an idiot like you ment or undergraduates is an interesting question - Trump University never clai med to teach electronics, but the US has all kinds of diploma mills. The be st US universities are pretty good but the worst are truly appalling. John Larkin graduated from Tulane.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I did a walkthrough of the Cornell EE school. I counted about 35 computer screens and one oscilloscope screen.

Laptops are cheaper than lab benches, especially when the students have to pay for their own laptops.

What they are not acquiring is instincts.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

The TDRs show a big capacitive bump (downward blip) at each of the SMA connectors, which I'm guessing is the capacitance from the center pin to the ground legs on top, and maybe the connector itself. These are $1.85 connectors. The fix is to cut away some of the ground plane on the bottom side.

It's a little more complex on a 4-layer board. We used the ATLC field solver to work that one out.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

xample:

t solder. I asked how do you get thru an EE program w/o learning how to sol der. They responded that all of their circuits were simulated. If only you could sell simulated products...

Bizarre claim. In any event what they should be acquiring is in-depth under standing - which let's them explicitly test their ideas in more ways than j ust slapping a circuit together.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

LOL! You spend TWENTY HOURS a day in front of your computer!! Furthermore, you admit to falling asleep during meetings with people that BORE YOU!!! Note: that ISN'T socializing.

Reply to
Flyguy