Is this actually an ultracapacitor?

The Venus Equilateral stories (well, most of them) were written between 1942 and 1945. I think the "ultra-high-dielectric-constant liquid" made its appearance in the story "Firing Line" (1944) but it might have occurred earlier than that... it's been a few years since I last read through the stories.

The stories are collected in "The Complete Venus Equilateral", and are well worth reading... they portray a bunch of RF/EE types, managing a "communications relay satellite station" full of high-power vacuum tube transmitters (this was pre-transistor stuff... "Now we're cooking with glass!"), orbiting the sun at Venus's L4 point. Fun stuff, with a good dash of humor.

I don't think it's in print at the moment, but used copies are available.

Dave Platt

When was this?

RL

Reply to
legg

A quick search found this:

Says a ton is "4.184 gigajoules". A 50KWhr pack (about 300 miles range[?]) is 180 megajoules. Not that big a bang, but more than plenty = to ruin the day of everyone within, say, 300 ft (100 m). Within 30 feet (10 m) you are dead to shredded meat. So yes, there is still a safety issue.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Oops you must have meant kilograms. Oh well the numbers are there.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Ha ha I remember that from my childhood (reprint I guess - not the 1940's!).

One story they made a matter transmitter from a scaled-up tunnel diode IIRC.

--

John Devereux
Reply to