Is Fax Dead Yet?

Fine resolution is about 200dpi, low res about 200 x 100.

300 dpi is not a good choice for scanning to fax.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Be careful how you scan - you want the stored scanned text images saved with an optimised palette of 16, 4 or even 2 colours if you can get away with that brutal a level of compression (OK on text specs but too poxy on photos). Saved as either PNG or GIF (never BMP RGB format unless you enjoy wasting space).

The original was probably only black and paper colour so you may have to stretch and palettise each scan in turn to get sensible sizes. Oh and beware of drag and drop onto existing images in a document.

In some variants of Word it is quite possible to create huge orphanned image resources that stick with the file forever but are never displayed again. The worst one I ever saw was on an major PLC intranet

- filesize 60MB meaningful content of active document 2MB + 58MB of deadwood images going right back to the year dot.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

We stopped loading paper into the home fax because it was always being exhausted by fax spam (I thought those were illegal?). We only use it for copying and outgoing fax, and incoming by special arrangement (usually an email). So now it sits in the patio room, beeping lonelily most days.

Reply to
Richard Henry

So you just copy and paste your signature into it?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You have to add a little of Jack's Secret Sauce ;-)

... In Adobe it's "watermark or background"

...Jim Thompson

Right now we prefer a Whiskey-based barbeque sauce :-)

That's IMHO not safer than a copied and pasted signature. AFAIR even the Foxit Software allows you to edit watermarks. It does then tag the modified file with a new red watermark but I bet there is or is soon going to be software out there that wouldn't do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

After you "sign" it, you "lock" it with a password.

...Jim Thompson

As long as the next software in line won't mess with the file on a graphics level I would assume.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If there's enough information in the file to display it on the screen (and of course, there is) then it's possible to run the pdf through another app to "unsecure" it and scrub the password off. I do this quite often to manufacturer's secured data sheets so that I can add notes and highlights to my personal copies.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

PDF??

...Jim Thompson

_Anything_ can be cracked. That's why I keep an original to compare against any copy. But I've never had a problem.

...Jim Thompson

Of course someone can paste your name onto a fax too.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Would you have a recommended "app"?

My usual way is to print to a PostScript file, then re-PDF; but some people have become smart enough to allow printing on a physical printer but forbid printing to a PostScript _file_ :-(

...Jim Thompson

yet

PDF

Why not? So far just about anything has been hacked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've been using PDF Split and Merge and discovered that passing a single file through the "merge" operation produced a modifiable output. I'm sure that there are "black hat" apps that can do more but all I need/want to do is to add highlights or amplifying notes to my personal reference copies.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

For some bizarre reason, many places will accept an order FAXed with a signature but won't take a PDF containing a (scanned) signature.

And of course very few places understand the whole concept of digital signatures and accept them. :-(

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yes, but for digital signatures the whole point is to DETECT when something in the file has been changed.

*Replacing* a digital signature with another one in a way that's difficult to detect is a *much* harder problem than simply removing the digital rights management on a document.
Reply to
Joel Koltner

Elcomsoft Advacned eBook Processor?

Doesn't work on the latest and greatest versions of PDF security, though... and since the company was shut down there won't be any new versions (at least from them...).

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

PGP encrypted e-mail is one heck of a lot more secure than any FAX transmission!

Reply to
Joel Koltner