Re: Is Fax Dead Yet?

> has made the FAX > > > > a dinosaur. > > > > You must not spend much time in the business world. I recently had > > > to manage a major project for a world wide banking conglomerate > > > that everyone knows by name, and everything "important" was done > > > using FAX. Absolutely nothing sensitive could be transmitted via > > > email, encrypted or otherwise. > > > > I also recently went through a credit card dispute after being > > > swindled on a Christmas present purchase (bastards!). Every scrap > > > of paper and every statement I made had to be faxed. They wouldn't > > > even give me an email address, or even surf to the web site I built > > > that had everything nicely organized, documented, and explained in > > > detail. A web site hosted tight in my own living room no less. > > > > I also do quite a bit of work for a largish law firm dealing > > > primarily with international property and copyright law. They've > > > gone largely paperless internally, but I'd estimate over 90% of > > > their external (non-hardcopy) correspondence is still FAX. They > > > actually decrypt archived documents before transmission and use a > > > networked Xerox "all in one" to FAX documents when it would > > > actually be *easier* to email them if their clients would only put > > > in place a free server and exchange keys properly. The whole thing > > > could be done transparently, and documents would be delivered > > > directly to the "addressee" rather than routed through whoever > > > happens to "check the FAX machine" that hour. ;-) > > > > FAX dead? Not from where I sit it isn't. I can only guess at why > > > it's so, but if I had to my best would be that crypto is a "black > > > box" and FAX feels more "natural". FAX is (allegedly) a direct > > > transmission too, while everyone seems to have at least some small, > > > if sometimes alarmist, grasp of how "evil" email can be because it's > > > routed through every Tom, Dick, and Jane server on the planet. FAX > > > transmissions are simply trusted more than email and crypto, and > > > oddly enough, for some valid reasons. > >=20 > > I'm not saying it's completely dead, YET. > > I'm saying it's not even feeling aged yet. First hand experience tells > me it's here to stay for any foreseeable future. Some of hte reasons > may be more valid than others, but the reasons are what they are. :) > > >=20 > > But it will be, once people realise it's not any > > more secure than email. Also, it's super easy and free > > to make your own PDF files now. > > You're wrong about the security. On a level playing field FAX is > somewhat more secure than email because a FAX isn't sent through a > mutable chain of hops in clear text form, where any casual observer can > sniff and fondle it. Telephone calls do route through switches, but they > far harder to compromise than data routers or mail servers. >

You're wrong in the sense that PGP is very popular now ( see other threads).

And if someone wants to snoop on you, they're gonna find a way, even if they have to tap into your line.

>=20 > > I've had to use a FAX maybe once in 3 years or so. > > As I said you must not spend a lot of time out in the business world. I > FAX quite a bit actually. Several times a week at least.=20 >

Doesn't surprise me that the business world is back in the stone ages.

> But this is all coming from someone who still > > watches tapes on a VCR, and still buys used tapes. > >=20 > > But the industry has apparently stopped making > > new VCR tapes, so it's only a matter of time. > >=20 > > I'm sure there are still people who have 8-track > > tapes too.... > > VHS and 8-track aren't valid analogies. For one they're mostly luxury > items and a luxury industry. For another, there's a issue of fidelity > that simply does not exist within the realm of FAX versus scanned/mail. > > >=20

What's so luxurious about a VCR tape?

I just buy them because it's not worth it for me to spend money on a DVD that i end up not liking. Which makes used tapes a great way to see new movies.

Reply to
Paul

Actually, not. S/MIME is far more popular where email encryption and integrity verification are concerned, and even that's not what anyone could call popular. PGP use on corporate Earth is abysmal.

That's not the point, and I suspect you know that. The issue at hand is how relatively easy snooping is. Email almost makes it the default. The only way to truly secure either is with strong encryption, but without, FAX is demonstrably more safe to use as a transport for sensitive information fro a number of reasons. It's a more "direct" link, it's more real time and ephemeral, considerably harder to modify without being discovered, etc...

They're not. Nobody is beating animal skins stretched across logs. They're merely using a tool that's still a suitable choice for a job.

Would you call a modern hammer "stone age" because it's still better than a tomato for driving nails?

Don't be silly. With few exceptions what's contained on all media of that type, from 8-track to Blue Ray, is a luxury. You won't lose millions of dollars or mistakenly send someone to prison if you don't see Star Wars in wide screen. Getting documents and information from point A to point B is a different animal entirely, and whether you admit it or not, we're both fully aware that FAX transmissions still get that job done every minute of every day.

Exactly. It's a luxury, not a necessity. Very wise of you to budget your money when purchasing those meaningless diversions. :)

Reply to
Cyberiade.it Anonymous Remaile

Please be aware that anonymous posting, without being otherwise identifiable will result in auto-PLONKing.

...Jim Thompson

PGP is used quite a bit in my realm.

Your average joe doesn't have much to hide anyways.

FAX is still around, but it's dying.

The modern hammer is much better than the stone tied to a stick that people once used.

People still cling to their record players too, with all their pops and scratches. FAX transmissions typically have LOUSY resolution, and are very hard to read.

Just give it up. Email is king.

Don't be stupid. Video information can be just as important as a signed letter.

Very dumb of you to consider important works of art like movies to be "meaningless diversions".

Reply to
Paul

The main reason i have a relatively brand new (2 years old) turntable is to digitize and digitally reprocess back to quiet to convert to CD what i cannot find already there.

Reply to
JosephKK