Is Fax Dead Yet?

Funny thing, I recently had to make some repairs to my laptop. It required essentially taking the whole thing apart just to replace the palm rest assembly.

Anyhow I noticed I have a Lite-On modem internal to the machine that I NEVER use.

I think you\'re right.

When I first started in this business the only remotely distributed
documentation which would be accepted as legally binding was paper
physically signed by the parties involved and physically delivered by
either a courier or the US Post Office to everyone involved.

Nowadays it seems an email will suffice since one of my customers
(after I told them that I no longer support FAX) was happy to send me
the PO via email.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I have yet to see the business that is faxable? How do you get the hardware to travel over the phone lines?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Almost half of my clients are now going paperless. Orders, invoices, contracts, the works, everything via Internet. Some stuff via secure links. Of course I always keep a fax machine because the web does go down at times, a lot more often than the phone line (and if that one goes our DSL is gone anyhow). AFAIR the only time the phone line went was when some kid lost control of his car and hit a lot of boxes next to the road.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Whenever I do that with consulting agreements (three pages plus two appendix sheets) I usually end up well north of 2MB when scanning at

300dpi B/W. 150dpi gets it to around 1.5MB but then redability begins to suffer. And all just to have my signature on there. The non-signed PDF formatted word processor output is much smaller. Any tricks? [...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

**groan...**

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I finally tossed out my old fax machine the other week, although I have not used it for maybe the last 8 years. I maybe send a few faxes per year using the machine at work, for stuff that has no easy email option.

As a big business I think you still need one, for communicating with the remaining luddites.

I can remember using my personal fax machine almost daily pre- internet. I even had a "polling" feature set up so people could poll my fax machine and download my latest info or whatever - kinda like a web page. Got maybe one "hit" a day on average for that at the peak. Now I get more than one hit a minute 24/7 on the web.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yes. It's called the 21st Century ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Maybe it's just spam bots and a dozen search engine spiders :P Is it really people looking at the web site?

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I bet you don't believe in Internet businesses either.

--
Keith
Reply to

Hi there Keith, Haven't seen you in awhile since I now kill-file master-baiters ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Yep. According to the stats, bots and spiders typically represent around 1% or so of my traffic.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

hardware

Are you saying that I have a masters in baiting? Umm, yesterday you said I still had 9 days in the penalty box. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

hardware

Not you... just YOU in THAT thread. Told you I had it snockered ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Or scan the document and fax it. Scanner, fax modem and a phone line.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

I'm gonna e-mail a foot in your ass? :-)

Tim

Tim Williams

The stereopticon will be the internet of the 21st century.

I have a fax machine, but all it ever gets is spam faxes (mostly fly- by-night mortgage loans and scam vacation packages.) I could almost say the same about E-mail but...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Well, I know. It's all 21st century software here. So how do I get that smaller?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I think that fax definition is often as low as 75dpi - a retransmission may be barely legible, but that's all it needs to be, if hard copy is eventually required by snail service, anyways.

If you feel the need to serve every flavor of customer prefered com technology, I'm not sure how the ability to do just one or two meets that need.

RL

Reply to
legg

Most everything comes to me as .doc or .pdf. If .doc convert to .pdf and "sign" electronically.

Latest SOW came in as a 10-page .doc, converted to .pdf at 105kB, signed and converted compatible with v4... 72kB

...Jim Thompson