Is API Evil?

Yes. The question of whether the Ten Commandments, for example, refer to the taking of human life generally, or are limited to the _unsanctioned_ taking of life:

Main points of interpretative difference: Killing or murder

And, of course, there's the whole "ask permission" vs. "beg forgiveness" thing.

Frank McKenney

--
  There us a curious principle in human affairs according to which the
  larger the number of people who can be persuaded or forced into

"Kill" is a mistranslation - it really means 'murder', and 'unsanctioned murder' at that. "Only kill who we tell you to", IOW.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

What is sanctioned murder?

Reply to
krw

Killing in war is sanctioned killing. It is not, however, murder. Because it's sanctioned...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Precisely my point. If there is "unsanctioned murder", you must have some idea what "sanctioned murder" is, no?

Reply to
krw

Cargill

=20

Given the timescales involved it is more effective means of suppressing = is likely to be all of it. Thus not really less violent by nature, but usually having more options to apply.

Property rights are not the straightforward thing you assume them to be. Check some of the notions of the various pre-columbian Americans and some of the South Pacific, Austrailian, and African tribal ideas on the subject. Quite a few are very different from Western European ideas. =46or that matter consider the differences between English inheritance = laws and Napoleanic inheritance laws.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Michael A. Terrell

Didn't mean to imply that I thought they were... still, a lot of the differences in outlook on human behavior comes from what Robin Hanson calls "farmer vs. forager" mores.

Absolutely, although I'm most familiar with Amerind versions.

Ooh, good point - it's always easy to overlook Napoleonic systems.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

If it's sanctioned, it's not murder. But I repeat myself...

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

You don't read well, do you?

Reply to
krw

When you put the word "sanctioned" in front of the word "murder", you are describing a null set. So my idea of "sanctioned murder" is that it is... a null set.

I don't know what you could possibly mean by it other than that.

Are we having fun yet?

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you even read what *YOU* wrote? As a clue, I've underlined it above.

Maybe if you could read...

Reply to
krw

Cargill

Cargill

about

suppressing is

be.

=46irst i have of this distinction, and just stating it makes sense to = me. It also adjusted the alignment of some of my ides. I found it helpful. Thranx.

some

laws

Reply to
josephkk

That's an argument that didn't hold water in Nurenburg

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

It was just "sanctioned" by the wrong government. The winners make the rules. ...retroactively.

Reply to
krw

The Geneva Convention, and common humanity, were the rules. Six million innocents killed in gas chambers is murder by any sane rules.

If the good guys had lost the Battle of Britain, which they nearly did, the world would be very different.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The winners write the histories, among other things...

"LeMay said, "If we'd lost the war, we'd all have been prosecuted as war criminals." And I think he's right. He, and I'd say I, were behaving as war criminals. LeMay recognized that what he was doing would be thought immoral if his side had lost. But what makes it immoral if you lose and not immoral if you win? " - Robert Strange Macnamanara, "The Fog of War"

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

The "unsanctioned" in the term "unsanctioned murder" is redundant. I agree, it's something that, if I were more carefully editing the prose, I would have done differently.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I have read British historians who don't think that was the case.

Consider our own casualty estimates for invasion of the home islands of Japan; now add the effects of US resupply ( if not outright participation ). The Nazzies also hadn't done as thorough a job of bombing the bejeezus outta Britain as we had Japan.

We were the swing element in that war, and we pretty much picked the winner.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Nurenburg was about a lot more than the Holocost.

True. The "English" would be speaking Russian.

Reply to
krw