Is API Evil?

it's

Sorry, but way too many people who do not know you, might miss the irony/sarcasm here. Please be more careful in including the winky.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

of

campaigns).

the

Not entirely true. Do remember API service oil grades. They also fund (and maybe do) vendor impendent qualification testing and not so vendor in dependant standards for oil products. Please add this to your input for "evil" evaluation.

industry=20

=20

you=20

or=20

Reply to
josephkk

it's

Of course I've heard of it. Exxon-Mobil and it's friends have managed to abate popular support for investing in that technology to the point where several planned prototype sequestration projects have been cancelled.

It really only works for power stations, which leaves the aviation industry with a serious problem (until they work out how to build flying wing air-liners with enough room for liquid hydrogen fuel tanks ...). Electric cars are more or less practicable, if we can work out how to make effective batteries with materials that we can dig up on a large enough scale to satisfy the potential market.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Never heard of CO2 sequestration??

Reply to
Robert Baer

To the tune of hundreds of millions each year.

I agree though all you said is correct. Oil companies pour a LOT of their moneys into the technology itself.

They do invest a lot of it.

They should invest some in a system that reduces prices at the pump when oil prices fall as quickly as they raise them when oil prices are rising.

And all the bastards that play on that convoluted delay and actually make money on it should all DIE!

Reply to
SoothSayer

The advertising I saw here is about investments in new technologies and existing (natural gas).

Get off your hate America high hobby horse, SloTurd. The entire WORLD utilizes energy resources. They do not need an advert to sell it.

Reply to
SoothSayer

nd

RLD

Engage you brain AlwaysWrong. Nobody objects to Exxon-Mobil advertising their products.

What is objectionable is them paying the Heartland Institute and a bunch of other merchants of doubt to mislead the public about the reality of anthropogenic global warming and the necessity to do something to slow it down while we still can. The tobacco companies invented the technique, but the fossil carbon extraction industry is now exploiting it in equally dishonest (not to mention evil) way.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Wonder how Slowman explains the flat world average temperature over nearly the past ten years? ...Jim Thompson

Even ignoring CO2, coal is pretty nasty stuff. Sequestration probably makes it uneconomic, and then there's the mercury, radioisotopes, particulates, and ash. Not to mention the difficulties of mining the stuff.

Fracking has made natural gas cheap and plentiful. We should, and will, use that as our major electric power source in the future. Places that seemed to be short on gas (much of Europe, China) seem to have lots of frackable gas. That will change all sorts of things, like Russian politics to start.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

it's

,

Why do you think that it has been flat?

ig.A%29.gif

shows it to have been quite noisy. Known cyclic changes driven by the El Nino/La Nina alternation, and the slower Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation

explain quite a bit of the noise. There's work going - the Argo buoy project - to get more insight into the deep ocean currents that contribute to this noise.

There's no reason to suppose that the long term upward trend has slowed down or reversed, and persuasive reasons to believe that it's actually speeding up, but that does involve understanding the greenhouse effect and the consequences of having quite a bit more CO2 in the atmosphere than we did a couple of decades ago.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

it's

,

Burning natural gas to produce power generates less CO2 emission per kilowatt hour than burning coal - 1.3 pounds of CO2 per kWh against

2.1 - but going over to natural gas wouldn't stop or even slow down anthropogenic global warming

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I understand that burning AGW advocates produces the least CO2 and makes the whole world a better place ;-) ...Jim Thompson

ybe it's

ing,

ven

in

the

y do

es.

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson makes an ass of himself once again.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Cheese and rice - these things are *prima facie infeasible*. They don't *work* in an economic fashion. The cost per unit output is up an order of magnitude higher.

You can't run subsidized systems as primary sources. They are, by definition, experimental. You can run 'em in parallel with primary systems, but not *as* primary.

We manage to do this in food because we have almost 100 years of deep experience at it and we get price stability from the futures markets. But it went rather badly, more than once. It's mainly because the US ( and Ukraine ) have such vast capacity that it worked out at all.

They won't work on scale. They're simply expensive toys, until somebody makes two to three order of magnitude leaps in battery tech.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Your "fact sheet" is wildly wrong. China is the biggest CO2 emitter, and the US releases about 16% of world CO2.

You should go to China and do your preaching there.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Actually, wildly out of date. They give the US per capita emissions as

6.6 tons per head while the current figure is closer to Qikipedia's 17.6.

Happily, the amount of CO2 emitted in generating 1 kilowatt hour of electrical power is more stable, and the proportional relationship between coal and gas even more stable

Don't need to. They take the problem seriously and are busy shutting down inefficient old coal-powered plants and shifting the load to more efficient modern coal-fired plants, not to mention flooding the world with solar panels.

They have a lot of catching up to do, but at least they appreciate that there is a problem and are doing what they can to get on top of it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

it's

Think about it... YOU just made an ass of yourself, which isn't difficult... you were already half-assed :-) ...Jim Thompson

Yes, they are being very responsible about limiting their CO2 emissions:

Plus, China is a Workers' Paradise.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

evil?

=A0Maybe it's

(assuming,

given

sounding in

the

They do

sales.

effective

like

Heartily agreed. They know how to deal with Bill's kind.

Just the same if you use the per capita column the earlier link appears more reasonable if you take the anti-civilization viewpoint seriously.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

mpm

probably

the

like

85

A bit of an aside, but i suspect that the actual level of exploration for coal in China, Austrailia, South America, India, and Africa makes the figures from facts and details rather suspect in the long term. The geopolitical consequences is left as an exercise for the student.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk