IR 9319 Transistor

I have a blown International Rectifier transistor out of an electric wheelchair , this is a IR 9319 TO-220 case and I can't find any info. or cross reference on this trans. , any help would be appreciated. Thanks Phil L.

Reply to
Phil

I could be wrong but perhaps the part was made in 1993 on the 19th week.. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

"Phil"

** Have a real close look at the pack with a bright light and a magnifier - cos you have missed the type number and supplied the 4 digit date of mfg code.

Check the other, similar ones if the dud is illegible.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reply to
Phil

The units I've seen used IR's power mosfets. The voltage and current ratings will narrow it down, but have you contacted IR to see if they can cross reference it?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What about the chair manufacturer?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Good luck trying. If it is a custom marked part, they will insist on selling a new controller like the rest of the industry. They claim that any repair is a liability issue, so they can't sell repair parts, only assemblies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The repair of the chair may be covered under the owner's insurance. I would at least give it a try provided the manufactures is still around. If the chair belongs to a non-ambulatory person that needs it there may be other alternatives like a new chair.

Reply to
Meat Plow

yes I

That seems to be what the manufacturers want. If it needs more than batteries, they want to sell a new one. I have a Jet One that was given to me after being in storage for over four years. Needless to say, the two glass mat gel cells are open, and a pair of new batteries are over $200, plus shipping. A pair of standard garden tractor batteries with the same AH rating are about $70, so I am looking at putting the batteries on a mini trailer that started life as a pressure washer chassis. There is room for a larger 12 V battery on the cart to power my wireless laptop, and if it works, the electric convertible top I'm designing. Then all I'll need is a 12 V powered cooler for the top of the trailer to keep cold drinks and snacks. ;-)

BTW, I've pretty much given up of the repair newsgroup.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

yes I

LOL so I take it you need the chair? If so I know what it's like. I have an ankle that's ready to explode (motorcycle accident 30+ years ago). I have a removable cast called a CROWE that is about the only way I can walk. I now use those powered buggies in WalMart and other places. I need about 4 hours under the knife and saw to fix the problem and maybe get a few more years out of it.

I still sub to it but it's pretty boring. I like reading Arfa even though he tends to get real wordy.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have had to use a cane for several years, and i want it ready, when i need it. it would also be nice for the events at the Veterans Park. I can never find a comfortable place to sit, and can't move fast enough to get some of the photos I'd like. Then all I would need are some ID decals, and a press pass.

I like him, its the whiners who are too damn lazy to look for something, but DEMAND help that I'm sick of. BTW, that PMC-NE8 part number for the chair is available form a number of online sources, if the OP would just stick the number into Google or another search engine.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

With a schematic, a good tech should be able to figure out a suitable substitute.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Is there another one of the same p/n on the board which isn't blown? If so, you could temporarily remove it and measure the breakdown voltage and Rds on. Then a perusal of the data book from 1993 would give you a very good idea of the real IR p/n. A more recent part to replace it would probably have better specs, too.

Reply to
The Phantom

"The Phantom"

** But you do not want that - a mosfet with a significantly lower Rds on would hog all the current to itself.

The original parts may very well be selected ( ie for low gate voltage drive) and Rds on matched too.

Testing one of the originals properly is essential - not just blindly matching the part numbers or dropping in a superior equivalent.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You are assuming that the part came from a circuit where it was sharing current with others. The OP didn't say anything that would allow us to know whether this is the case or not.

And, I didn't say to replace it with a part having lower Rds on; in fact, the reason for measuring Rds on would be to find a replacement with similar Rds on. When I said the replacement would probably have better specs, I was thinking of SOA and thermal resistance.

And they may very well not be. There's no way to know without seeing the schematic. If examination of the circuit where this part was removed indicates that current sharing with other parts is important, then *all* of them should be replaced with matched parts because if one of them blew up,the others may well be damaged. It will be up to the person doing the repairs. We can only hope he knows what he's doing.

It might be essential; it might not be. We just don't know how important it is to get a really good match to the original part. The blown part may have come from a non-critical part of the circuitry.

But measuring Rds on and breakdown voltage as I suggested will help get you close to a correct part. And there's certainly nothing wrong with dropping in a part with superior SOA.

Reply to
The Phantom

"The Phantom"

** Bollocks - he certainly did.

** No-one can tell what you were thinking but failed to write down.
** Superfluous contradiction.

** Irrelevant to alerting the OP to the likely technical issues he faces.

( snip opinionated drivel - should ship the lot, really )

** Superfluous contradiction #2.

Irrelevant to alerting the OP to the likely technical issues he faces.

( snip more opinionated drivel - should ship the lot, really)

** So says a fool who requires others to be telepathic.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Quote it, then.