inverter generators

For what it's worth, Yamaha make an EF1000 and an EF1000iS Nowhere in the manual below do I see the words inverter generator, but I do agree there is some evidence to support the idea that it is.

EF1000

EF1000iS
Mike

Reply to
amdx

The model # on the title page is clearly the inverter version, and the schematic shows a stepper throttle control.

Are you from Missouri? :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Just a little healthy skepticism mixed with an interest to know. Here I wasn't skeptical enough. My new stainless steel glove $7.99

The stainless part

0.00125" thick Mike
Reply to
amdx

One of my teachers, years ago asked "What is a rotating mechanical rectifier?".

When we gave up, he answered "A commutator and brushes".

I've never forgotten that.

Here's an easy one: What is the difference between a generator and alternator?

mike

Reply to
m II

df page

Search for the word "inverter". I found it twice, once there and once for connected devices. In the Foxit pdf reader Search is under Tools.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

which is=20

told.

But it has to be 320VDC, not 160. Actually, that'll probably blow one = capacitor (and might reverse the other one!).

I can't imagine PFC supplies would have a problem, though some = controllers may get confused without AC input. If they stop PFC-ing, = voltage drops out and you get the same problem as before. Most of those = run at 400VDC link, so you'd need even more in that case.

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams
*Cough*, homopolar generator?

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Commutators=20

Reply to
Tim Williams

Let's not get too cute. A comb or rug can generate DC electricity too. Tesla cured us of the DC habit.

mike

Reply to
m II

That's because the phrase is "inverter control unit", which is the blank box in the middle of the schematic that the 3 phase AC goes into and the single phase AC comes out of. Look under "Overload Indicator Light".

You normally don't read manuals until you've bought the product, if even then, so they are free of marketing department foofoo.

I have to write some sort of manual for most everything I design.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Search for the word "inverter". I found it twice, once there and once for connected devices. In the Foxit pdf reader Search is under Tools.

jsw

Ok, but only one of those counted. Mike PS. I'm no long a skeptic. :-)

Reply to
amdx

That's funny, I thought it was a rotatary mechanical inverter. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"amdx" wrote in news:64730$4c21617d$18ec6dd7$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

how about 3 cheers to Yamaha for publishing this stuff!!

HOnda is so stingy they want 30 bucks for the service manual (which I paid .. I know I bitch about this all the time, but I feel no remorse for scanning that dang thing. It's just lame as hell to withhold information from someone who's bought three of those things over the years.) Zero useful manuals for honda are on line from the official site that I could ever find.

-zachary

Ah ha!

But those are also AC generators, simply using electrostatic rather than = magnetic induction. You still need a commutator to make DC. ;-)

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

ooops Electrostatic charges are DC!

When they discharge the electron "inertia" usually makes them overshoot the equalibrium and then over shoot back giving an AC with high frequencies and lots of RFI.

ready for the RFI coming?

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Josepi

..

A Wimshurst machine generates DC from a rotor without a commutator.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Synchronous rotary rectifier.

Reply to
krw

No...the generator is upside-down!

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about a DC motor, in a rotating reference frame?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You do mean service manual when you say service manual, right? Ya, I thought so.

Anyway here's the owners manual to the Honda EU6500isa.

Almost bought this, but got a Miller Bobcat 250 welder instead. Same price,

58% more power, 9500 watts continuous. Better resale. More noise, less fuel efficient.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

The Faraday disk is weird. I didn't expect statement 2 or 3. So much for relative motion.

========================================= 1. The magnet is held to prevent it from rotating, while the disc is spun on its axis. The result is that the galvanometer registers a direct current. The apparatus therefore acts as a generator, variously called the Faraday generator, the Faraday disc, or the homopolar (or unipolar) generator.

  1. The disc is held stationary while the magnet is spun on its axis. The result is that the galvanometer registers no current.
  2. The disc and magnet are spun together. The galvanometer registers a current, as it did in step 1.

mike

Reply to
m II