Inverter

I'm about 85% electro-idiot; understanding just about enough to keep me out of trouble. Scenario: I have a new Compaq laptop I wish to use in my car for downloading files from my digicam. I also have a year-old RayoVac inverter rated at 350W, 120V, 3A continuous output which I'd like to use for AC power for the computer, and to recharge the LiIon batteries for the camera. Is the sine wave output of the inverter likely to be too 'impure' for this usage?

TIA Joe Arnold

Reply to
PhotoMan

Probably not

I use a 400 watt 29 dollar auto zone inverter to charge my camera and laptop lithium batteries and RC Ni-Cads for the last two years without problems.

Hugh

out

for

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

The inverter is probably a "modified sine wave" type, as all the present models are now. This give a waveform with both the proper RMS value and the proper peak value. I have not found any trouble at all in using it for VCRs and Computers. However, remember that the AC output is FLOATING , and the equipment should not be grounded to the inverter input ground.

I would suggest trying it out while the computer is still in warranty. I am sure it will work, but, if it doesn't, you will have an option.....

Andy W4OAH

out

for

Reply to