Interupting xenon flash current ?

1 ohm divided by 100 gives 10 mV/amp.

that inductive?

No. Typically the error results in a current step having a substantial overshoot on the leading edge of the sensed voltage, with a complex-exponential decay tau more or less in the few hundred microsecond range. The complex decay is an infinite sum of exponentials as the magnetic fields soak into the shunt matarial, eddy-current wise. It's one of those ugly diffusion things. It's hard to make shunts or heatsunk power/wirewound resistors that have clean transient response. Vishay makes some super-precise metal foil power resistors, 4-wire in a TO-3 can, that have 100% overshoot on a current step, decay in the 500 usec range. I was impressed; then I started making my own shunts.

If you tuck the sense wires in close to the shunt intill they meet in the middle, and then bring them out as a twisted pair, that minimizes the effect, but most shunt geometries limit the improvement. There's also the common-mode/ground-loop issue.

John

The flashtube is roughly a constant-voltage device once fired, with maybe a bit of negative resistance. So there is energy lost in the cap esr and the wiring, and maybe adding the igbt just moves the losses around and spreads out the pulse.

I thought igbt's latched on at high currents, but obviously the series guy turns off.

John

There are "short circuit" rated IGBTs that can take hundreds of volts while full on for a few microseconds.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

that in modern units IGBTs are

to flash a tube and measured

current peak to be about 1900A and am

about 6us and still at 300A after

reasonably priced/sized IGBT to

but the only IGBT I have is one I

My test setup isn't all that

about why it takes 20us from the

but that just seems like and

15us for the current to reach

fairly large, 80mm long and 8mm dia.

On SCRs and other devices made for hogh current and relatively fast circuits like this, one should know the I*I*T rating; something that used to be published about 30 years ago and "vaporized" maybe 5 years after. I guess that the I*I*T rating of that spec was low...

Reply to
Robert Baer

material about 1" wide and 5" long

just measured the inductance to

to measure a 3000A pulse in an

around 8ms if I remember

tube. The scope gnd, the charge

connected the scope probe tip to the

5" long shunt????? I bet you are measuring L*dI/dt. 0.3uH with ~1kA/ less_than_1us will easily give you more than 1V. I'd use bunch of chip resistors in parallel (e.g.:
?name=P5.0TCT-ND) or current transformer. Layout is not a trivial thing when you are dealing with the stuff like this. Just my $0.02 :o)
Reply to
Michael

Yes, if we assume Vcap starting at 275 volts, and 60 volts across the tube, about 3.5 ohms of flash- capacitor esr should do it. Hmm, I'd expect a 22uF photoflash capacitor to have lower esr than that.

However they are rated, most IGBTs, in my experience, simply current limit, much like MOSFETs, at very high currents. I'm not aware that they latch up. But, given the typically rather high limit currents, if the voltage drop is very high and lasts for long, destructive die temperatures can occur. Perhaps something appearing like a latch-up can be part of the high die-temperature process. For my high- current IGBT designs, I've used gate drivers that include a Vce over-voltage-detection gate-shutoff circuit, to protect the IGBT. Once I disconnected that circuit, because it was tripping, improperly I thought, but then a huge IGBT module I was using immediately failed. It turned out an insulation- failure short in the output cable was responsible. I promptly reconnected the fault shutoff and only then replaced the IGBT. The shutoff will remain.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Fairchild Semi has this nice app note on IGBT in series with the tube and a 555 timer test circuit for the pulse width

then there is this piece of marketing drivel from power electronics magazine

MIT thesis

enjoy,

I do xenon as part of my livelihood at the University.

Steve the strobemeister.

Reply to
osr

It seems that all of the IGBTs designed for strobe use are limited to

150 Apeak, suitable only for small on-camera type flash tubes under 20 Joules, and I see the apparently typical CY25BAH-8F flash IGBT is rated for a 5000 flash lifetime.

I just hauled a big flash unit from a ~1970 copier breadboard in from the barn to see how they did it. This flash was designed to fire around 5 times per sec continuosly 24/7 for about a year at around 10 or 20 J per flash IIRC; it has a 5" long 1/2" dia tube in a fan cooled lamp housing and a 19" rack mount power supply with a big ferroresonant transformer and bridge rectifier charging a 4" x 4" x 7" capacitor with inacessible labeling. The capacitor does not discharge very much per flash. In series with the tube is a 0.1 ohm wirewound power resistor with 27 turns of edge wound metal strip 1.25" dia 7" long, I calculate about 4 uH. This resistor drops enough voltage to quench the arc very quickly after it fires, but without any adjustment posssible.

I might be able to fire it up and measure the flash current sometime.

Hey John, do you have a core material recommendation for that 100:1 CT idea?

Regards, Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

I noticed that to. Even in the TO247 pkg it's hard to find one good for more than 300A.

If you do, please post your results here. I'd sure like to know.

If there is no absolute truth then nothing can be known.

Reply to
Mike

After I get everything mounted and shorten all the wiring as much as possible. I'll wind the transformer and see what happens. I went thru some junk and found a current sense transformer. The data sheet with it says it's 1:200 and to use a 200ohm resistor. It also says 35A max. It has large hole in the center to run a wire thru. Any idea why it is limited to 35A? I don't want to run into that problem when I make my own transformer.

Mike

If there is no absolute truth then nothing can be known.

Reply to
Mike
35A --> 175mA in the winding. It's probably made with fine wire (around 28AWG).

A 200 ohm resistor sounds absurdly high.

What V.s is it rated for?

Tim

possible.

found

to use

into

Reply to
Tim Williams

No, they go to 10kA and higher. My circuit went to 1.5kA and 1.2kV = 1.8MW. Look for IGBT modules made by Powerex, Mitsubishi, Eupec, ABB and others.

Reply to
Winfield

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

So basically you are commutating the flashtube with the SCR instead of another SCR?

Reply to
JosephKK

Mike snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Mike. Re: your sig, see Godel's theorem. But don't give up it is just a theorem.

Reply to
JosephKK

Spehro Pefhany snipped-for-privacy@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat posted to sci.electronics.design:

My tongue would hurt after that.

Reply to
JosephKK

Mike snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

There is no calibration needed for a current transformer, just the terminating resistor. Just use big enough core to not have a saturation problem. A company called "Ion Physics" makes them to handle many kA in sub microsecond square topped pulses. The rest of the instrumentation must be up to the task as well.

Reply to
JosephKK

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

No, they commutated the flashtube with an SCR. Google SCR commutation.

Reply to
JosephKK

Pearson makes CT's that work over a million:1 frequency range, down to

0.15 Hz. Beautiful stuff.

John

Yes, I've seen units that used a second flashtube.

John

That mag is pitiful. I may rant on it one day soon.

John