Interface device

I need to be able to send and recieve data from a custom electronic board to my computer program (written in c). from what i've researched so far i need a UART chip. Is this true?

The device that im making will have a high(on) or low(off) state, there will be a multiple of these devices. Each device will have a unique address. I need to be able to recieve a message(on/off and address) from the device in real time, process the data using the program on the computer and then output the results onto an external lcd screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Josh916

If there is an IO device available, then simple programming would suffice so that the signal(s) would be compatible with a serial or a parallel port on a computer. If both devices are not computers, a microprocessor could be added or programmed do communicate either way.

Reply to
Robert Baer

jeez... can't we have a standard form that people HAVE to fill in, with questions like:

  1. how many do you want to make?
  2. do you want to make it cheaply, or quickly?
  3. is this a commercial design, a hobby project, or a school project?

David

Reply to
David Collier