Interface device

I need to be able to send and recieve data from a custom electronic board to my computer program (written in c). from what i've researched so far i need a UART chip. Is this true?

The device that im making will have a high(on) or low(off) state, there will be a multiple of these devices. Each device will have a unique address. I need to be able to recieve a message(on/off and address) from the device in real time, process the data using the program on the computer and then output the results onto an external lcd screen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Josh916

Not for multiple devices. You can't put multiple RS-232 devices together, as there will be "bus contention."

You need some kind of switch to select which device is active, or maybe use the parallel port to only address one at a time.

Another option for multiple devices is something like IIC.

Or, you could put both an input and output port on your device, and daisy-chain them, such that each device can get its address and either activate itself or simply relay the signal to the next one.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

the computer already has one in its serial port. microcontrollers are available with built-in uarts this may help simplify your design...

sounds good so far, is any of that giving you trouble.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen