Inexpensive digital microscope

I stuck with the IMHO last known good OS, Windows XP. That way all this stuff always works :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I did, too, except that XP has far better support for multiple displays. In Win2K the drivers have to do all the heavy lifting. It's transparent in XP. I have to buy a new laptop and it looks like I'll be forced into Win7 but at least there is an XP mode available.

Reply to
krw

I prefer Win2K to XP, and XP to 7 (curves and all..).

Reply to
Robert Baer

..which may be different enough to genuine XP to hose you. Seven (of nine) is far softer..

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:31:51 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I burned my Xp disk because it was so 'good'. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan , you could have done something else with the HD, see:

Jure Z.

Reply to
Jure Newsgroups

On a sunny day (Sat, 22 Sep 2012 07:02:50 -0700) it happened "Jure Newsgroups" wrote in :

Thats is neat. I have a blue colored DVD+R disk glued to the front of a PC. Some Verbatim blurays are nice gold color, I have one that failed against the wall as decoration.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

or

mily.

ars

gher

date

Rip out the low-res camera and cobble up an adapter for your fave off the shelf USB camera's guts (so you don't have to use the Intel's kiddy interface), toss the special filament lamps and install your favorite brand of white LEDs, saw the foot off the base and substitute a decapitated illuminated lamp stand, snug up the focusing gears to get rid of the backlash, and it's a pretty good USB microscope.

I've got two of them.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Perhaps but there is no choice.

??

Reply to
krw

I don't even know if I still have it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like the result is a product that you can market and sell..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm waiting to get that Atlas Lathe repaired, so I can make what I want from scratch.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or use VMware and install XP.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Buy *another* license?

Reply to
krw

Clean campers, very kool.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

While 7 is not very toxic (not to say it is an any measure nearly as tolerable as XP) 8 is nearly as toxic as vista. Viva *nix.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

What? Are you saying they messed up Win 8 and it becoame worse again? What's it doing that makes it worse than XP in your opinion?

I am thinking of getting another system some day because I may need some more horsepower for heavy SPICE stuff. Maybe I should rush that decision before they obsolete Win 7.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I heard there is a theory, something about alternate releases of windows being the really bad ones :)

Never used it, but I gather it is ideal if you want your desktop experience to resemble a smartphone. So if you have a touchscreen, and don't use a keyboard or mouse, go for it!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I got a quickie Win8 demo at work, you have the choice of a win7-appearing desktop or a smartphone-appearing screen with big buttons and lots of touching :-). Oh, saelig has a nice-looking usb microscope. Haven't used it, says made by Cosview, 2.0 MP, choice of 640x480, 1280x960, 1600x1200, zooms from 5-200x, object distance 0-300 mm, stills and video, $60, see

Joerg writes:

I heard there is a theory, something about alternate releases of windows being the really bad ones :)

Never used it, but I gather it is ideal if you want your desktop experience to resemble a smartphone. So if you have a touchscreen, and don't use a keyboard or mouse, go for it!

--

John Devereux
Reply to
Carl Ijames

driver

could

this

Well 7 has way more stupid glitz and shenanigans than XP and it is harder to turn off. Moreover admin controls are more borked in 7. It looks = like i may have to regedit one install to get it to see Internet.

Now for 8 they decided to have a common user interface across all screen sizes, from 320 by 240 all the way to 2560 by 1440 and want everything to be gesture based (tablet think). Plus another two tons of glitz to get = in the way of productivity.

Hopefully 8 will be as big a disaster for them as Vista. But a lot of the Vista problems was about device drivers, and i see no reason for that to return.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk