HV discharge switch

What is the proper name for the three terminal encapsulated discharge device that has the HV terminal, the ground terminal and the terminal for the injected ignition arc to force the HV terminal to arc over to the Ground terminal..

The last one I saw was round transparent glass bubble with the main ends on it and the ignition probe off the side close to the ground end.

These units are used for very high voltage discharges using a smaller ignition arc as the switch.

Thanks.

Reply to
M Philbrook

There are a couple of such devices: a trigatron and a field distortion spark gap.

Bert

--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering LLC

Triggered spark gap?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Thyratron?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Ignitron.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

No - a thyratron is a gas-filled vacuum tube.

An ignitron is a different beast, though.

--

-TV
Reply to

Cattle prod? Electro-stim?

Definitely an Electro-Stim. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 2. juni 2017 kl. 19.08.03 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I'm working on a 10kV 15-ohm 200ns MOSFET discharge switch, 500pF discharges at 2kHz.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That's the one! ;-)

Reply to
krw

YEs we have a winner, that is what it's called...

We work with HV devices and looking for a practical decharge device to bring down HV up in the ares of 40K and up, some cases could be 100KV.

The voltage is variable so we're looking to automate the gap so we can adjust the break down of various set voltages so inject an ignition pulse to collapse the gap. We will be experimenting with inert gas, maybe SF6 will do it, we have plenty of that around and its heavy so it'll say in a nice holding cell.

Thanks

Reply to
M Philbrook

You might be thinking of the sprytron.