I've decided to become an electronic designer as a career choice: any advice?

Knock it off, Win. Please keep the _your_ politics separate from _my_ technological accomplishments.

...Jim Thompson

My youngest son, the perpetual student, with degrees in Business, Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering, does just exactly that... sells real estate ;-)

...Jim Thompson

OK, blue-nosed leftist weenie ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It's easy. Just be prepared for an early morning pop quiz and late afternoon lab every day for the rest of your life.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

They have the Japanese experience to learn from. And they were smart enough not to go for political reform without economic reform (and thus entirely avoided the colossal Russian disaster). And conditions are radically different from Japan of the 70s. For one thing, they have enormous political clout, essentially for free, on account of the way they are doing business.

It may indeed crash and burn, but I doubt it will be for anything like the same reasons. One possibility is that there's not enough resources and market in the world for all the stuff they can manufacture, regardless of the price. They have to absorb scores of millions of workers from the agricultural sector into more urban settings. So, social unrest is a possibility if market forces can't supply the jobs. Another possibility is economic collapse and rampant grassroots driven protectionism in the West, with the same result. Protectionism won't be initiated by the elite class, because too many people, and too many important people as well, are making too much money off of cheap Chinese labor, and, increasingly, by selling things there. But anyone who owns stocks probably is affected-- allegedly that is a sizable fraction of the US population (CNBC calls it the 'investor class').

They are not buying USD or Euros. They are trying to get rid of them into more stable and useful instruments (for example, by buying IBM's laptop division or Maytag, as well as lots of BIG resource companies in Australia, Canada and so on). China is the biggest destination for investment funds in the world. The domestic market and growth figures are quite impressive, although not yet nearly on a par with their biggest customers - the EU, the US and Japan (in that order), it's growing by 9.5%/year average over the last 25 years and the middle class grows by the population of Hungary every year.

Well, don't hold your breath. It's in nobody's interest to leave the game. Nobody who matters anyhow. If bad things happen, I would expect people to work together to prop things back up again.

I've been to two China conferences in the last month or so. There are many interesting things afoot-- most of them positive for the world.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I meant the lab STARTED late in the afternoon. When it ends is up to you.

Pizza delivery and Jolt Cola are your friend.

{;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

[snip]

Ain't that the truth?

Although you forgot: "...and late into the night" :-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I liked it when MIT went to Tuesdays and Thursdays as laboratory days. You could choose morning or afternoon... I always chose afternoon, in case things went bad you could recover ;-)

Amazing how I used to live on 2 hours of sleep each night ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The Chinese are about to chrash & burn just like the Japanese did - and at about the same time too, namely when everybody and dog are touting the pending Chineese takeover of the world economy.

... problem is, the whole Chinese show, impressive as it is, runs on borrowed money and non-performing loans; after all, if there was real growth in the Chinese economy they would not be so keen on buying up USD. They would invest at home instead.

It will be fun to watch - maybe one should place a few bets with LEAP PUTS on NASDAQ for good measure. The USD and then the Market will not like very much that the Chinese stops buying it and pull the money back out to bail out things at home.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Ahem... They are getting truckloads of USD from their sales of goods to the US. Even if they bought Yuan from those USD, which they likely do, the someone who changed the USD to Yuan now sits on truckloads of USD. So, these USD still have to be spent or invested somehow.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Which they indeed do by gobbling up obscene amounts of T-Bonds; there is not enough "economy" in China to dispose of the Yuan's one would have got by changing the trade surplus!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Hello,

Yes.

Oh, the agony when that happened to the freaking expensive AF116.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Find a good mentor, even if you have to work for cheap/free. And read everything you can find on the areas that interest you. Read one hour a day, every day, even if you have to get up an hour early or stay up an hour later to do it.

Then start designing, building, and debugging those things that you think need to be built. That is the real training ground - it can not be done in a vaacum.

If you do this outside of any employment, starting picking up the tools of the trade off of eBay. Good older oscilloscopes are cheap and they can give you a window into the inner workings.

Blakely

Reply to
Noone

Hey, I was just kiddin'. In any event, I'm too old to embark on a new career, even if I needed to (fortunately I don't).

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

Me too. Great concept. Shame they're not made any more. I don't suppose today's kids would want one, anyway. They've been brainwashed by trashy TV into thinking such interests are uncool. :-(

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to
Paul Burridge

I was 22 when I graduated. I don't recall needing more sleep until I was well into my thirties.

...Jim Thompson

Try doing it as a part time mature age (I was 21-22) student. I would do my best at trying to talk anyone out of it, it actually makes you got mentally insane. I speak from experience.

Reply to
The Real Andy

By "Dark side", I thought he meant all that analog crap ;-) Even my radios are software now ....

Frank Raffaeli

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

Paul,

Academic firehose notwithstanding, my advice is to not to exclusively limit your reading and thinking to electrical engineering. Don't forsake art, history and philosophy, among other things. The best engineer that I've been fortunate enough to meet managed to work some facet of Tolstoy's, "War and Peace" into every third or so discussion.

And when you learn about impedance, for example, don't just think of circuits and wires. Think as well about automobile transmissions and the see-saw you played on as a kid. If you make a game of envisioning EE principles in wider contexts then engineering ideas will occur to you in the most unlikely places: perhaps while playing with a blade of grass or watching a Heron land in a marsh.

Generally speaking, this is my best advice to a young man.

"Choose a wife by your ear, not by your eye."

Remember this. No, not because you'll heed it. You won't. Remember it so that when you're gray and balding, you'll also have the best of all advice to offer a young man.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike

[snip]
[snip]

Good advice, although I also recommend checking out the mother of the wife-to-be. If you like her also you're good to go.

...Jim Thompson