HP302

Here's a bad pic of an HP302, a "wave analyzer", which is basically a tuned voltmeter. I don't think anybody makes anything like this any more.

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

I think my grid-dip meters have a wavemeter mode.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The HP 312 is a newer version. More commonly called a 'Frequency Selective Voltmeter'. What frequencies are you interested in? There are tons of CATV field strength meters being dumped, since the conversion to DTV. Sub band models go down to 10 MHz.

HP-Agilent-3586C-Selective-Level-Meter-Voltmeter-CALIBRATED US $1,290.00

HP / Agilent 3586C Selective Level Meter with Option 004 (High-Stability Frequency Reference) and a current calibration good thru July 17, 2012! The 3586C selective level meter finds applications in general- purpose wave analysis for the design, manufacture, and maintenance of electronic systems. It is fully HP-IB programmable and covers the frequency range of 50 Hz to 32.5 MHz. This allows you to measure audio, sonar, and other low-frequency systems, as well as high-frequency communications subsystems. The HP 3586C provides input impedances of 50,75,and 600 fa with 10 kfl bridging for maximum measurement flexibility in a wide variety of applications. Measure signal levels with up to ± 0.2 dB accuracy down to --80 dB, with 0.01 dB resolution and bandwidth choices of 20,400,or 3100 Hz. The built-in counter and narrow-resolution bandwidths allow harmonic and intermodulation measurements to be made with ease. Frequency can be set or measured with 0.1 Hz resolution and

10 ppm stability (± 0.2 ppm optional).
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The HP 3581A seems to be the last of the analog "wave analyzer" instruments.

It's also called a "Frequency Selective Voltmeter".

HP 3586c is the latest I can find. The analog voltmeters have been replaced by proper spectrum analyzers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

You could buy a Signalhound, get their programming instructions (AFAIK that's pretty much open), write some SW, then create a nice GUI that looks just like in the photo. With scratches, scuff marks and all :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have two of them, and last time I checked, they worked. Have the manual, too.

They are handy for low frequency stuff. I last used one for designing a 2nd-harmonic type DC current transformer.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

DAMN! Had one for years; if you had indicated the want for it before November last year, i could have sent it with manual. Had to dump it as too heavy and costly for value of use to keep. Also useful as a WWVH receiver..

Reply to
Robert Baer

The 302 does down to "DC".

Reply to
Robert Baer

"proper spectrum analyzers" do not go down to the audio or sub-audio region..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Huh?

A FFT spectrum analyzer can easily do a millihertz or a microhertz.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Since processors and logic has been dirt cheap? The Aligent E444x series goes down to 3Hz.

krw

Since when has an off-the-shelf spectrum analyzer been able to sweep below (say) 30Mhz? In the old daze ('60s & '70s), there may have been sub-RF plugins.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The HP 8568B will sweep from 100 Hz to 1500 MHz with a 10 Hz RBW Is that one old enough? It certainly was and is an off-the-shelf analyzer.

Reply to
tm

Oh, you mean DIGITAL ones, not ANALOG...

Reply to
Robert Baer

I used to have a Polorard 'Ultrasonic Spectrum Analyzer'. It got away from me around 1980.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

HP8566B 100Hz-22GHz

The lower frequncy is a bit high for audio, but the treble should be no pb...

HP3585B 20Hz-40MHz

HP4195A 10Hz-500MHz SA/VNA combo

Thanks,
Fred.
Reply to
Fred Bartoli

Looking at my 1977 HP Electronic Instruments Catalog, Pg 439-440, there are several that qualify.

Model Range Min BW Max BW

HP 3580A 5Hz- 50KHz 1Hz 300Hz HP 8556A 20Hz-300KHz 10Hz 10KHz Plugin for 140T

3044A/45A 10Hz- 13KHz 3Hz 10KHz (a bunch more...) HP 5390A 0.01Hz- 10KHz 100uHz 10KHz 59309A Digital Clock carrier offset

There are also a bunch of vibration analyzers that go down to fractional Hz frequencies. I'm not sure, but I believe that all the above are analog, not digital.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann