How To Get Rich in Electronics??

I'll miss the explosions, fire, smoke and shocks. :)

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Stick the 555 in a box with knobs and some probes and say it cures all sorts of ailments, or makes your car get better millage etc. Then you can charge hundreds for it. It's worked plenty of times.

I love the new mains "energy saver" boxes. Amazing what people will pay for a capacitor in a box.

Plenty of money in Audio snake oil electronics too.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Oh. Then join the military

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

It'll also cure smoking (by causing a foul taste) and has been patented for that.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Must be some other compound. I used to smoke and never noticed any problem.

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

You still get cavities with mouthwash. But not with silver ions.

It also heals most gum disease. And it kills viruses that cause colds, flu, cold sores, Shingles, etc.

None of the commercial products have the same effect as silver ions.

There are no pharmaceuticals that kill viruses.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

If you don't want to smoke, why not just not smoke? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

:-)

Have you ever tried to quit, Rich? I'm just curious, as in general if you want to smoke I figure it's your body, you're an adult, you can make the choice for yourself, etc...

(I've smoked exactly one cigarette in my entire life...)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I quit once and realized I like smoking better than I like not smoking. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I suspect smoking may lower IQ. There's more useless CO in the blood for the brain. Some chemicals.

Lead, toluene, styrene, formaldehyde... Not good for the brain. What's missing on that page is the chemical levels relative to other things people are exposed to.. It could be that my glass of drinking water may have just as much lead as a cigarette. I dunno..

IMO it's best not to risk brain damage or dysfunction with cigarette blood.. I need every edge I can get.

D from BC snipped-for-privacy@comic.com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I saw it done using silver wire intended for jewelery maunfacture for the electrodes and ~27V DC from three 9V batteries for the power source, also the water may not have been pure. (probable contaminants are tannins and minerals)

later I discovered a patent for an ion solution mouthwash that makes cigarettes taste bad.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The usual contaminants are minerals and salts. I don't know how tannins could enter drinking water. The only thing I know that has them is tea and wine.

The "3 Nines" was one of the first methods suggested for making cs.

It has no control of the current. This increases exponentially as more ions enter the solution and increase the conductivity. See "Constant Voltage Generators", at:

As a result, the 3 Nines process generates a large amount of silver hydroxide and a weak concentration of silver ions. The solution tends to quickly turn black from silver particles or yellow from silver hydroxide that agglomerates. The yellow color is due to plasmon resonance which removes blue wavelengths from the spectrum.

The silver used in making cs is 99.9% pure, called "dead soft". It is too soft and bends too easily for use in jewelery. The wire is usually 12 ga, which is 0.080 inches in diameter. This has an area of 0.2538 square inches per inch of length.

Most generators run at a current density of 1 to 2 ma per square inch. This promotes the generation of silver hydroxide at both the anode and cathode, and limits the ion concentration to perhaps 6uS to 12uS, dependng on the electrode configuration.

I run at a much lower current density, usually 60uA to 100uA per square inch. This results in a much higher ion concentration, usually 20uS or so, but it also means a much larger wetted area of silver is needed to make a usable amount in a reasonable time. My current generator uses 6 feet of 12 ga silver wire for each electrode. They are folded into an accordian configuration, or "UUUUUUUU", to fit in the container.

Since some of the ions are lost in making AgOh at the anode, and in plating pure silver out at the cathode, the actual ion concentration will always be less than the theoretical value.

You can use Faraday's equation to calculate the theoretical ion concentration as a function of volume of distilled water, electrode current, and time. My generator runs at 2.7mA to 3.2mA, and it takes about 4 1/2 hrs to make 2 litres of 20uS solution. The calculated ion concentration is about 28.5uS. The actual measured concentration is about 23.6uS after pouring into the storage container, so the ion loss at the electrodes and silver hydroxide in solution is about 5uS.

The reading drops over several days and stabilizes at a lower value. See the graphs halfway down the page at "Why Nobody Makes 45uS CS"

However, the process is extremely sensitive to contamination. Recall that 1 uS, or 1 ppm, is about the same as one penny in a stack one mile high. So the desired ion concentration of 20 uS is about the same as 20 pennies in this stack.

This means that any contamination, such as the chlorine from salt, acetic acid from vinegar, sulphur fumes from a car battery or a sealed gel cel, baking soda dust from making pies, or spray from ordinary household cleaners, can severely contaminate the solution.

This means that a simple conductivity reading with a pure water tester cannot be relied on to determine the silver ion concentration.

You have to be aware of the tremendous sensitivity to contamination, and use as much information as possible to help determine the true ion concentration.

This means combining the results of the Faraday calculation, the measured conductivity, the clarity of the ion solution, the amount and character of the residue on the electrodes, and the strength of the dispersion obtained when a small amount of pure salt is added to a small glass of silver solution.

The silver used in jewelery is usually sterling. It cannot be used for making a silver ion solution since it is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper.

Can you post the patent number?

The patent may talk about a different method of making a solution, or it may have bungled the process completely. Any additives, such as honey, salt, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, or any other chemical will result in a completely different solution. This is not the same as a pure solution of silver ions, which is what we are discussing.

A pure silver ion solution has no taste at all if done correctly. I never noticed anything unusual when I smoked, and my friends who still smoke don't notice any effect after holding a solution in their mouth for ten minutes.

But if the solution has an excess of silver hydroxide due to lack of control over the process, it causes a metallic taste than many people find unpleasant. And that may cause a reaction when smoking.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

From leaves in the guttering , this place didn't have town water but did have a rainwater tank and a bore (a very narrow well)

2mm diameter, that sounds about right,

I don't recall enough details to locate the neccessary information

No manufacturing process was discussed, the patent merely claimed the use if an (undisclosed) metal ion solution to make cigarettes unplesant.

from your discription it had atleast that.

it's possible distilled water was used I was not paying full attention.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Tannins are often present in drinking water taken from surface-water sources, and (I believe) from shallow wells. The ultimate source of them is from plant matter, of course... roots and bark over which the water has flowed.

As an extreme case: many of the streams and brooks I saw in Newfoundland this fall were as dark in appearance as medium-strong tea... one was even named "Black Brook". An amazing amount of tannin soaks out of the fir and spruce and bogs over and through which this water flows.

Although normal drinking-water treatment probably reduces the amount of tannin in the water (through filtration and chlorination) I doubt that it eliminates it entirely.

Dave Platt

Of course. It also causes cancer, heart disease, and the latest - strokes.

I think if it wasn't for AGW they'd blame smoking for everything from pollution to earthquakes.

Antismokerism: The New National Religion.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Hmmmph. How about Steve Wozniak instead. Real engineer, more impact greater wealth.

Reply to
JosephKK