How to enable 2 GB ram on Asus P3V4X motherboard ?

Hello,

Today I loaded bios defaults on accident.

Apperently this causes the bios to revert back to 512 MB of RAM instead of 2 GB RAM.

I forgot what I did to enable 2 GB of ram ?

Maybe I flashed the bios ?

Or maybe it's some setting ?

Maybe memory hole setting ?

Doesn't seem anything in the manual about it...

Let me know if you have any ideas ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I only checked online manual... maybe it's old/wrong.

I'll check paper manual and see if it contains anything else... might be.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Ok found it in the paper manual... first page I opened haha ! :)

Paper manual gives me more confidence that a solution is in there I guess ! ;) :) Glanced over it in online mode... maybe shitty acrobat zoom in caused it... at 100% it might be better noticeable.

Anyway the solution is called something slight weird:

OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64 M [Disabled]

^ This has to be enabled for 2 GB RAM I think...

Will try so now ! ;)

To bad windows didn't recover yet with 2 GB enabled...

Might have to deleted hybernate file: Hiberfil.sys

To prevent problems in future...

I hope it's safe to delete that file... rename it just in case might be better.

Or alternative could put system into hibernate mode... see if problem (bsod) returns...

But I don't want to waste too much time on it... so I will try the rename for now...

At least always me to rename it back later...

Though windows 98 startup disk was of no use... could not access drive... maybe ntfs installed or whatever.

command prompt from disk booting might help...

Or special boot disk..

Glad I installed floppy drive and cd rom yesterday... white in black case but that ok.

Though haven't had any use from it yet... so far working from harddisk ;)

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I also have a further tip for myself:

A new chair with wheels under it might be usefull for me after all ! ;)

Then I can roll back and forth between my computers.

I used to have two chairs though...

But one could be easier.

But I would be scared that I would roll against my desk and cause unnecessary bumps and thus bad sectors on disks... hmmm...

Maybe wheel chair not such a good idea...

But I might need it... or a new chair in future... since I will probably be multi-computering a lot when I buy my new system ! ;)

Or I could transfer file disks to new system..

But not everything is transferrable by default... most applications/and some games...

Though virtualizing the entire system would solve that too some degree..

Though not all applications can run from a mapped virtual file disk image ! ;)

Cause of registry settings and such hmm..

Not sure how much I would be using my old dream pc... when I have new system lol...

Maybe not much but I think I will..

I did look forward many years now... to update my software with new instructions and stuff... file transfer software...

Though doing that might not give more performance on older systems... though maybe new algos possible or otherwise cuda... or just other improvements like multi threading oh yeah ! ;)

So chance is high I will be multi-computering soon ! ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Enabling above 64 M did not help.

Maybe I need to restart system and do a cold boot.

Or perhaps I flashed the system secretly in the past and didn't tell you guys about it...

I have a feeling I may have flashed it lol.

Though I cannot imagine the bios restoring itself to an older version so soon...

Just rebooting didn't help... so going to try a cold restart.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I hate you electronic assholes... I really do.

The only setting which seemed to may help if "plug and play" "yes".

But still nada...

No idea how to get the BIOS to recognize 2 GB ?!

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Well hate is a big word... more like dislike..

"500 MB ram should be enough for anybody" crap like that makes me think you should use Skybuck's Universal Code... and let it grrrrroow ! LOL.

Or other solutions that can actually SCALE.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I am starting to fear that all these resets/reboots/power ons/offs caused maybe memory chip damage..

Though it's unlikely... it only started when I loaded bios defaults... how odd ?!?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I cannot believe this fokking shit ?!

How the f*ck is this possible that it no longer detects 2 GB but only 500 MB ?! Just by loading BIOS defaults ?!

Holyshit...

Tried ESCD reset whatever..

Nothing helping so far..

I could try and pull out memory... plug it back in... different order etc...

But gonna call it quits for today...

Or I could try and run company of heroes with just 512 MB of ram... that might work.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Assuming memory chips are ok... then it has to be some strange configuration issue...

Hmm

At least I hope so...

But what ?

Memory timings ?

Some other obscure setting ?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I did not find any bios files on my dreampc computer so far...

But I wont to get to the bottom of this.

Went back to my parts room and looked at disks from old computers and stuff in a bag.

There I did found someth asus p3v4x original bios bootdisk

So perhaps I did have the flash the bios for 2 GB support...

Interesting...

Especially how loading defaults seems to revert it ?

Or maybe it's a bug in the bios... and loads incorrect default settings.

Investigating further.

Bye, Skybucl.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

This loading bug theory probably doesn't come out of thin air...

I can vaguely remember reading about that very maybe... investigating further...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I kinda hate myself too for not documenting how I got 2 GB working lol.

I think I wanted to be the only one in the world with a p3v4x with 2 GB of ram working LOL.

Or maybe I didnt wont to post if it failed ;) :)

But now I BURN FOR IT... I hate myself now...

But I'll refigure it out...

I think I have to flash it again...

But I want to find the note on the internet that said something like:

"Don't load bios default settings".

By now maybe links down and information gone...

Who knows...

I'll keep searching for a while...

I can't believe I lost or didn't store this information... kinda weird... I'll check on other drives of mine... maybe something there.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying