(not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old ...

Hello,

I was curious how Company of Heroes Tales of Valor would run on my old
Pentium III 450 mhz upgraded to 2 GB of RAM.

Even if the game ran slow it could be interesting to test/try things out.

So I transferred the 8 GB game iso to the old computer via network and then
installed it over night while I went to sleep.

When I come back I moved the mouse to bring the monitor back online... to my
surprise the computer started rebooting.

I thought odd... maybe a windows update... though internet is not connected
to it.

Sign of trouble.

The peculiar thing is: normal mode, last good configuration and safe mode
all cause a blue screen of death.

The blue screen of death only lasts 1 second so I video taped it with my
video camera to make some sense out of it and to show you.

I haven't looked further into it yet, but I will do so shortly.

The error message/blue screen of death is:

http://www.skybuck.org/NotAPCIcompliant/NotACPIcompliant.png

BIOS not APCI compliant ?

(I suspect it's caused by installing directx, perhaps windows xp 32 bit  was
not updated enough to handle this ? seems weird)

Other theorie is: the 2 GB ram installed is not handled properly by the
bios, it shows only 512 MB ram installed.

I might have to flash this Asus P3V4X motherboard's bios ? Something I'd
rather not do in case it goes wrong... though with my current PC it went
ok... but knowing asus... it might go wrong lol.

I was also thinking of maybe installing linux instead or perhaps windows 10
on this old PC to see if that would work.

But for now I await any responses... have you seen this problem before ???
What you make of it ?

What you think this is ?

Anyway, read you later ! ;) =D

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: (not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old system leads to Blue Screen of Death on Boot ?!?
Ok,

I have something really weird to report.

I was wondering if this problem was maybe being caused by some weird
electrical issue.

Because this system was working before...

So I decided to unplug all power cables.

To my surprise the numlock light on the keyboard kept burning ?!?!

I was like that's odd...

Maybe it's some residue power... leaking away...

But then it kept on burning...

And then I was like:

Holyshit that's weird...

And then it kept burning and burning and burning and then I was like:

WWWWWTTTTFFF ?!?!?!

And then I was like ok... the only possible source of power is:

The ethernet cable...

So I unplug it... and sure enough... the numlock light goes off.

The curious thing is that it was only in 10 megabit mode... while it should
have been 100 megabit mode... during transfer last night.

I am not sure why that is... maybe wrong cable ?

These electrical problems are pretty weird...

Perhaps it's the voltage/electricity that's dumped on the case... because of
missing earth ground... instead of staying in the case... it flows back into
the ethernet cable cause it's also "fakely grounded"...

And thus it can flow into other systems ?!

Does that make sense ?!

If so I may have to contact my apparment "lord" again... and this time ask
for grounding of building again/rooms and stuff...

Cause these electrical problems are really fokking weird... and if it wasn't
me... it would drive people nuts ! ;)

But I am kinda used to it by now... still annoying though.

I will plug in power again... and see if it now boots...

That could prevent enormous ammounts of stupidity/troubles...

If it's just electrical weirdness... than gjez... lol.

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: (not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old system leads to Blue Screen of Death on Boot ?!?
Unfortunately the problem remains... blue screen of death...

However I am curious if I can repeat the green light on keyboard staying
on...

So I will repeat the test:

1. Plug in all power cables.

2. Plug in ethernet cable.

3. Boot to blue screen of death then it will reboot and enter bios or so.

4. Power down system.

5. Unplug power cables only.

(monitor going to standbye way to quick kinda nnoying).

Nope this time all lights go off...

However I did something else by accident this time which was also kinda
interesting.

I accidently pressed F5 thinking it was save and exit bios... but it loaded
system defaults...

Memory test now proceeds to 512 MB instead of 2 GB... but didn't help...
still blue screen of death.

Weird...

I think Microsoft's Windows 10 update strategy is going to brick many
systems.

I think it's the worst possible strategy Microsoft could follow.

This case is a nice example of how upgrading/updating sytems can go really
bad...

Plenty of news articles mentioning these kinds of scenerios.

Though maybe this old hardware is somehow damage or something... or maybe
there is a short circuit somewhere caused by dust or hairs or something
else...

Bios complaints... CPU overheated or wrong settings or something... or maybe
majesty cooler full of dust but didn't seem like it...

Weird stuff.

Windows 10 update strategy... could become the end of Microsoft I think ;)
:)

Better to simply make a system... install the best possible operating system
on it and leave it at that...

Though I did install a newer version of OS on systems... but only if
something went wrong with the old one... or hardware/drive died or was
needing of replacement...

Hmmm...

Bye,
  Skybuck.

Re: (not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old system leads to Blue Screen of Death on Boot ?!?
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:44:47 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"

  You're a slug.  You and thoughts do not go together.

Re: (not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old system leads to Blue Screen of Death on Boot ?!?
You are fokking annoying me.... fokking die and rott in hell..

Gonna ban you..

Dont reply anything usefull now will ya.

"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno"  wrote in message

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:44:47 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"

  You're a slug.  You and thoughts do not go together.

Re: (not APCI compliant) Installing Company of Heroes Tales of Valor on Windows XP 32 bit/Old system leads to Blue Screen of Death on Boot ?!?
Not exactly sure what this is, but it seems to have something to do with
"hibernation".

This cause seems to make some sense, since the computer was on at night.

I guess it went into sleep mode/hibernation mode.

It seems to be a bug in windows which doesn't adjust a file for the new RAM
size.

The microsoft support article seems to recommend to delete the following
file:

Hiberfil.sys

(via a bootdisk/startup disk...)

More info from:

Text from that html (cleaned up somewhat):

"

"Stop 0x000000A5 the ACPI BIOS in the system is not fully compliant with the
ACPI specification" error message when the computer resumes from hibernation

Support for Windows XP has ended

Microsoft ended support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. This change has
affected your software updates and security options. Learn what this means
for you and how to stay protected.

SYMPTOMS

You may experience any one of the following symptoms:

Your computer automatically restarts.
After you log on, you receive the following error message:
Microsoft Windows
The system has recovered from a serious error.
A log of this error has been created.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve
Microsoft Windows. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.
To see what data this error report contains, click here.
If the error message still appears and if you want to see the data that the
error report contains, click the click here link at the bottom of the
message box. You then see error signature information that may be similar
to: BCCode : 000000A5 BCP1 : 00000011 BCP2 : 00000006 BCP3 : 00000000 BCP4 :
00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1
You receive the following "Stop" error message on a blue screen:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer...
Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000011, 0x00000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Bug Check Symbolic Name

When you view the system log in Event Viewer, you may notice an event ID
1003 entry with information that is similar to:
Date: date
Source: System
Error Time: time
Category: (102)
Type: Error
Event ID: 1003
User: N/A
Computer: COMPUTER
parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000. For more information, see Help and
Support Center at http://support.microsoft.com . Data: 0000: 53 79 73 74 65
6d 20 45 System E 0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er 0010: 72 6f 72 20 63
6f 64 65 ror code 0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 35 00000A5 0020: 30 20 20 50 61
72 61 6d 0 Param 0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 66 66 eters ff 0030: 66 66 66 66 64
31 2c

Notes

The symptoms of a Stop error vary according to your computer's system
failure options. For more information about how to configure system failure
options, click the following article number to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
307973 How to configure system failure and recovery options in Windows

The four parameters that are included in the error signature information
(BCP x ) and inside the parentheses of the technical information for the
Stop error may vary according to the computer's configuration.
Not all Stop 0x000000A5 errors are caused by the problem that is described
in this article. For more information about how to troubleshoot Stop
0x000000A5 errors, click the following article number to view the article in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314830 "Stop 0x000000A5" error when you are installing Windows XP

CAUSE

This problem may occur if you add random access memory (RAM) to the computer
while it is in hibernation. When the computer resumes from hibernation and
loads the Hiberfil.sys file, Microsoft Windows detects the change in memory
state, and then you receive the error message.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, restart your computer.

If the problem persists, start the computer by using the Windows CD or by
using an emergency startup disk, and then delete the Hiberfil.sys file. To
do this, follow these steps:

Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer's CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM
drive, and then restart your computer from the CD-ROM.
Note Some computers may require that you modify the basic input/output
system (BIOS) settings before you can start the computer from a CD-ROM. For
information about how to modify BIOS, see your computer documentation.

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start Recovery
Console.
If your computer is configured for dual booting or multiple booting, select
the relevant Windows XP installation.
When you are prompted to do so, type the administrator password, and then
press ENTER.
Note By default, the administrator password is blank in Windows XP Home
Edition.

By default, Hiberfil.sys is typically located in the root directory (C:\).
At the command prompt, type del hiberfil.sys, and then press ENTER.
Restart the computer.

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

MORE INFORMATION

Always shut down your computer before you add RAM.